News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Afsharids, Shah Rukh, AR Rupi (10 shahi), Mashhad mint (1161-1210 AH)

Started by aws22, September 14, 2016, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Afsharids, Shah Rukh, AR Rupi (10 shahi), Mashhad mint (1161-1210 AH)
Weight: 11.31 gm
Diameter 24 mm
Metal Silver
In Farsi reads: sekkeh zad dar jahan beh hokm Khoda/ Shahrokh, kalb-e astan-e Reza سکه زد در جهان بحکم خدا/ شاهرخ کلب استان رضا, Meaning: "on the order of God/ Shahrokh, the dog of the doorstep of Imam Reda minted this coin", with date 1162.
Beautiful rare coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

THCoins

Very nice coin ! But what really made my day was your full transcription of the legend. That text is weird  :o !

Anthony

Figleaf

There are two typical elements here. The first is imam Reda. My interpretation is that he is used as a symbol for shia islam in this text, which makes this message a confession of creed. It may be of importance to note that today, Mashhad, the place where the imam died, houses a giant mosque named after him, built around the imam's tomb. This is an obvious indication of the enduring popularity of imam Reda in Mashhad. In that sense, the invocation of the name of the imam on the coin is also a message to the population of Mashhad.

The second element is the manner of speech "dog of the doorstep". The function of the dog of the doorstep is to keep his master and his master's house safe. This is an important and respectable function, but the manner of speech also symbolises Shah Rukh's piety, by giving himself a modest place, below the master.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

I think you are correct about the symbolic interpretation of the text. It just seems over the top. Likely the manner in which people expressed themselves in this time andplace was much more prozaic than we are used to today. I had read similar texts in historic written documents. But untill now never on a coin.

aws22

Dear Peter and Anthony, this legend was only used by Shah Rukh Afshar, Nadir, Adil & Ibrahim have used different legend on their coins, which makes this legend unique for Shah Rukh.

Maythem

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Dear Peter, for gold (Ashrafi & Mohur Ashrafi) it is only Mashhad but for silver the same legend is used in mints Mazandaran, Rasht, Hirat, Ervan, Qazvin, Astarabad, Isfahan, Teflis, Shiraz, Ganja & Mashhad (1, 4 & 10  Shahi) . I hope Saro will confirm that.

Maythem

Figleaf

So Shah Rukh advertised his convictions all over the country. However, that gold piece may have been a special issue to please the citizens of Mashhad. Thanks, Maythem. I find this coin fascinating.

One more point for TH to consider: as you know, the common name Abd'allah means slave of god. It is not a demeaning name, but an expression of piety. I think this is how the dog part should be read.

Peter

aws22

Thank you Peter, this coin has filled the empty Shah Rukh section of the Index of Coins of Iran, it is the first post for Shah Rukh coins.

Maythem

aws22

Dear Saro, have I translated شاهرخ کلب استان رضا correctly for this coin or does it mean something else in Persian?
Please advise.

Maythem

saro

Dear Maythem, you are absolutely correct  :perfect:

Legends of coins can hide real little treasures reserved to whom make efforts to decipher them, and you have to be thanked for that.
In this distich (also found on coins of Tiflis, Tabriz, Qazvin & Herat ), Shah Rukh named himself the "watchful dog" or "dog of the doorstep" of Imam Reza.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22