News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Lowest denominations

Started by mrbadexample, March 24, 2016, 10:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbadexample

Thanks Dale. The amended rule simplifies things a bit, I think. :)

For your consideration this evening I offer a Belgian Congo 1 centime, 1887. According to Krause, of the 175000 minted in 1887-1888, 120000 were melted down.

Prosit

I have exactly 1 coin from Belgium Congo, it is a 1911 10 Centime so it doesn't fit in this thread.

Nice coin!
Dale

Quote from: mrbadexample on July 05, 2016, 11:56:21 PM
Thanks Dale. The amended rule simplifies things a bit, I think. :)

For your consideration this evening I offer a Belgian Congo 1 centime, 1887. According to Krause, of the 175000 minted in 1887-1888, 120000 were melted down.

gerard974

mrbadexample

Quote from: Prosit on July 06, 2016, 05:21:20 AM
I have exactly 1 coin from Belgium Congo, it is a 1911 10 Centime so it doesn't fit in this thread.

Nice coin!
Dale

My 10 centimes is 1889 - it's about 4.5 times as heavy as yours. Lovely great thing. :) Krause has them listed as Congo Free State rather than Belgian Congo though. Apparently it was the private property of Leopold II until it was annexed to Belgium in 1908. I prefer the Free State coinage but that's probably because it's what I've got. :D

mrbadexample

Quote from: gerard974 on July 06, 2016, 06:02:30 AM
HELLO
For east caraibes

Merci Gerard, je n'ai pas une comme ça. :)

mrbadexample

Estonia, 1 sent, 1929.

Figleaf

Good design, with an original reference to the oak as symbol of strength and the heraldic lions adapting to the roundness of the coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bacchus

Quote from: mrbadexample on July 05, 2016, 02:43:26 AM
Not in 1898 I think.

I changed the rules. Any coin which at the time of its issue was the lowest denomination in the country of origin. ;)

I think that even though the US was not miniting half cents in 1898, earlier outputs of that denomination were still legal tender, and technicially are so to this day.

bacchus

and a Kiribati 1979 1 cent - both the above very cheap to pick up, though the Mauratanian one might be a bit harder to find

mrbadexample

Quote from: Figleaf on September 07, 2016, 07:24:41 AM
Good design, with an original reference to the oak as symbol of strength and the heraldic lions adapting to the roundness of the coin.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I was wondering why the oak... :)

mrbadexample

Quote from: bacchus on September 07, 2016, 01:11:03 PM
...earlier outputs of that denomination were still legal tender, and technicially are so to this day.

Really? That's interesting. Have they not demonetised any of their coinage?  ???

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on September 07, 2016, 07:24:41 AM
the heraldic lions adapting to the roundness of the coin

Interestingly (to me anyway 8) ) the three lions are related to or derived from their Danish brethren who look very similar on the 10 and 20 kr coins from there. Adapted to the round central part, that is. Guess one would not do that if the lions represented different regions for example. But as they mean courage at different times in Estonian history, I guess that is OK ...

Christian

chrisild

Quote from: mrbadexample on September 07, 2016, 09:05:16 PM
Really? That's interesting. Have they not demonetised any of their coinage?  ???

Nah, they don't do that. Well, confederate money may not be legal tender any more ;D but there are hardly any CSA coins anyway. The only US coin that has ever been demonetized was the Trade Dollar from the 1870s. But about 50 years ago, a law made all US money legal tender again ...

Christian

mrbadexample

Guatemala. ½ centavo 1932.