News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Netherlands Gelderland, 1610 lion dollar (the leeuwendaalder), 48 Stuivers KM 17

Started by aws22, August 11, 2016, 01:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Netherlands Gelderland, 1610, lion dollar (the leeuwendaalder), 48 Stuivers KM 17 (1606-1697)
Weight 26.42 gm
Diameter 40-41 mm
Metal Silver 0.750
The lion dollar circulated throughout the Middle East and was imitated in several German and Italian cities. It was also popular in the Dutch East Indies as well as in the Dutch New Netherlands Colony (New York). The lion dollar was also circulated throughout the English colonies during the Seventeenth and early Eighteenth centuries. They were sometimes referred to as "dog dollars."
Lion dollars were no longer minted after 1713, during the Eighteenth century they were replaced in the Mideast by the Austrian Thaler.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

THCoins

Indeed both contemporary and modern copies of these coins are often encountered. Your photo's a re a bit small for a detailed view.
I believe however, that his is one from the Gelderland province, not Holland.

Anthony

aws22

Thank you Anthony, yes you are right, on the coin tag I have written Gelderland, I forgot to put the year also 1610 as written on the coin. It is nice coin and difficult to get in our part of the world. I often wondered how such coin reached Baghdad.

Maythem

Figleaf

For more information, see this thread.

I am convinced the coin came to Baghdad by way of Kustantiniya (now Istanbul). Dutch ships did a lively trade in these coins with the Ottoman empire.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, they seem to have used the Austrian Thaler more than the lion dollar, because people here are more familiar with the Maria Theresa Thaler.
The lion dollar is well explained in your earlier 2010 posts.

Maythem

Figleaf

It is a bit more complicated, but the leeuwendaalder was the predecessor of the MT taler. To a large extent, they did not circulate at the same time.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

I meant the old generation people here have seen the Thaler but had no idea about the lion dollar. They hardly found the lion dollar in their family inherited items, although the time span is different.

Maythem