News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of The Isle of Man"

Started by <k>, October 14, 2011, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

You are right indeed:

1971 - 1975  (5 years)
1976 - 1979 (4 years)
1980 - 1983 (4 years)
1984 - 1987 (4 years)
--Unclear period, design changes spread over several years--
1996 - 1999 (4 years)
2000 - 2003 (4 years)
2004 - 2016 (13 years)

andyg

Quote from: Niels on August 07, 2016, 10:46:12 AM

--Unclear period, design changes spread over several years--

When I was in the Isle of Man in the summer of 1992 I read about a new coin series that was planned, I think something to do with transport - possibly centennial of the tramway 1993? (memory plays tricks on you sometimes) - but whatever it was it didn't happen.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

Quote from: eurocoin on March 23, 2016, 03:11:23 PM
In 2017, the Isle of Man is going to introduce a 12-sided 1 pound coin as has just been confirmed to me by the government of the Isle of Man.

The treasury of the Isle of Man can no longer guarantee that they are going to introduce a new 12-sided 1 pound coin next year as they are still waiting to receive information about the technical specifications of the coins and the production process from The Royal Mint.

eurocoin

In 2016, Pobjoy Mint omitted its mintmark from the standard coin series of the Isle of Man. These are the first ever circulating coins minted at the Pobjoy Mint that don't feature its mintmark. The batch marks are still included on the coins.

eurocoin

Pobjoy Mint informed me that the PM mintmark was omitted on special request of the Isle of Man government. PM was not informed about the reason for this and also hasn't enquired further about it.

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on June 15, 2016, 11:05:47 PM
As often noted, the Manx prefer their pound notes, which they still issue.

Well the facts indicate something else according to the Minister of Finance of the Isle of Man:

Quote from: Treasurer Eddie TearePublic and business demand for £1 coins is greater than £1 notes and the actual composition of the currency in circulation is driven by demand. From our perspective, the use of £1 coins is more cost effective than notes. The coins are cheaper and they do last significantly longer. However, there are sufficient stocks of Manx £1 notes to meet demand over a number of years. The notes are available, but my understanding is that they are not being requested – but they are available if people want £1 notes.

At the same time a Member of Parliament of the Isle of Man indicated that it is difficult to obtain pound notes from the banks.

Until 2015, the government of the Isle of Man was allowed to issue a maximum of 10 million pounds worth of coins per year, in 2015 this amount was doubled.

eurocoin

The Isle of Man will not introduce a 12-sided 1 pound coin. The round IOM pound coin will circulate alongside the round and the 12-sided UK 1 pound coin. The round UK 1 pound coin will be gradually repatriated to the UK.

andyg

I know where to go on my holidays with old obsolete pound coins then....
Seriously, have they not thought of that?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

A couple of interesting facts about the new design series of 2017.

The previous obverse legend on the Manx coins.

For the first time, the new obverse legend includes the word "QUEEN".

Also, the obverse of the new 20 pence is countersunk (it has a broad outer rim), whilst the reverse is flat. That is a first for a 20 pence coin ANYWHERE! Formerly the coin was countersunk on both sides.

Up to and including 1992, the Manx 20 pence had always been FLAT on both sides. In 1993 it became countersunk on both sides.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

A 2018-dated Isle of Man 1 pound coin was found in circulation in the UK. The coin is still round.

eurocoin

eurocoin

All of the legislation related to the standard circulating 5 pounds coin first issued in 2017 just mentions that the edge is milled, so I was somewhat surprised to find out it is actually an alternate milled edge. The Isle of Man previously had an alternate milled edge on their 1 pound coins, although the 1 pound coin of the latest series has a completely reeded edge.

eurocoin

I was wondering to what extent the launch of a circulating 5 pounds coin was successful on the Isle of Man so I asked a few islanders for information. I was quite surprised to find out that the launch more or less failed. Although in 2017 coins were occasionally seen in circulation, most of them were snatched up by the islanders as novelty items. The thing never took off and they are now rarely seen in circulation. If you try to pay with them, some shops will accept them, other don't.

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

The government of the Isle of Man is seriously considering to demonetize 1, 2 and 5 pence coins. These denominations have already reached or are nearing the point at which the production costs are higher than their face value.