Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of Jersey"

Started by <k>, September 11, 2011, 11:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Sark, yes! I should have looked at the map, shouldn't I? If you consider that the bit that sticks out like a thumb at the top left (north west) of the map of Jersey is where Grosnez is situated, then it's obvious I was looking at Sark. I visited Guernsey, Herm and Sark in 1999, the year before I visited Jersey. Next I have to tidy up the Guernsey topic, so that's a neat segue.  :D
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

Not sure it counts as a "milestone" but the 2014-dated 5p and 10p coins are the first to be struck in nickel-plated steel.

Also not sure where the four 2003-dated 50th anniversary of coronation 50p coins fit in.  I don't think they circulated but as they were produced in cupro-nickel to the same specifications as the standard 50p, they were legal tender.

In 2003, Guernsey also issued four coronation anniversary 50p coins in cupro-nickel as well as silver proof.  Alderney did the same (so altogether there were 12 designs) but Alderney's were only produced in silver proof.

See http://jerseycoins.com/com_2/com_2.htm for the Jersey ones.  I think the photo depicts the silver proof versions, but cupro-nickel editions do exist.  I have all four cupro-nickel in my collection, but they were not in any kind of official set or packaging.  The dealer I got them from sent them as loose coins (clearly in brilliant uncirculated condition) for which I got a plastic display case.

<k>

I tend to avoid commemoratives, as I want to concentrate on the standard circulation coinage. Otherwise it would take me so much longer to finish. Also, I am sticking to clearly visible changes. Most people would not notice a metal change - though, funnily enough, children are usually the first to do so, when playing with magnets! Some kids still play with old-fashioned toys, it seems.

I did show a commemorative 50 pence, but only to show that Jersey used the Maklouf portrait only on its commemoratives, and only the uncouped portrait at that.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

That's fair enough.  The 1985 50p was a genuine circulation commemorative as it marked a significant Jersey event.  The 2003 issues were similar to the modern £5 coin issues in that they use Jersey's name as a way of commemorating something that the UK coinage didn't.  All very generic, with the obverse inscription (Elizabeth II Bailiwick of Jersey) not relating to that of the circulation coinage (Queen Elizabeth the Second [Date]).

andyg

The 1981 Pound coin -

QuoteThe Royal Mint was considering introducing a pound coin as currency and asked Jersey to suggest a suitable design.  As this was the bicentenary of the battle of Jersey a commemorative square coin with rounded corners was issued.  The reverse showed the badge of the Royal Jersey Militia

Source : Coinage in Jersey - the Jersey numismatic society.
Still not found the exact quote I remember for the 1981 Jersey/Guensey £1 issues.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

Now the 10 pence coin in Nickel Plated Steel (dated 2014) has been issued too. Earlier the 2014-dated 2 pence coin and the 5p and 20p coins in Nickel Plated Steel were already issued.

eurocoin

The currency manager at the Government of Jersey informed me today that they currently have no plans to issue 2017-dated coins as they have sufficient stocks. It is however possible that due to sudden increase of demand such coins will be minted. They think that the fact that they are going to demonetize their 1 pound coin may cause a sudden increase in demand for the other denominations.

Jersey has at present no plans to change mints like Alderney.

Alan71

Jersey has issued all of the lower denominations (50p to 1p) dated 2016 so it would make sense that no 2017-dated coins will be issued.

Not sure how they can say withdrawing the £1 will cause an increase on demand of other coins.  They'll soon get flooded with new pound coins from the UK, and also have their £1 note.  Of the £1 coins in circulation, most are UK ones.  The Jersey ones encountered are usually dated 1998.

Alderney only issue commemorative coins, so I imagine it's easier for them to change mints.  If Jersey did the same, wouldn't they have to change their reverse designs?

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on March 07, 2017, 11:06:30 PM
Jersey has issued all of the lower denominations (50p to 1p) dated 2016 so it would make sense that no 2017-dated coins will be issued.

Not sure how they can say withdrawing the £1 will cause an increase on demand of other coins.  They'll soon get flooded with new pound coins from the UK, and also have their £1 note.  Of the £1 coins in circulation, most are UK ones.  The Jersey ones encountered are usually dated 1998.

Alderney only issue commemorative coins, so I imagine it's easier for them to change mints.  If Jersey did the same, wouldn't they have to change their reverse designs?

They said may possibly cause an increased demand. Yes it is easier for Alderney to change mints but I am sure that Guernsey and Jersey will also choose a private mint in the foreseeable future. If Jersey would have to change the reverse designs all depends on the contract they have with the Royal Mint.

hkfears

I sent a "Freedom of Information"  request to the States of Jersey enquiring about the mintages of the current circulating two pounds coin.  They reported the following:

2003             10,000
        2006             15,000   
        2012               5,000

avle64e

Quote from: hkfears on April 15, 2021, 09:06:56 PM
I sent a "Freedom of Information"  request to the States of Jersey enquiring about the mintages of the current circulating two pounds coin.  They reported the following:

2003             10,000
        2006             15,000   
        2012               5,000
Tell me, please, has anyone seen a two pound coin with the specified year-2012? Maybe someone has a photo...

eurocoin

No, it does not exist and these are not mintage figures either. These are figures of in which year the Government of Jersey ordered the production of coins. Jersey does not always do a redating of the minting dies.

hkfears

Attached is an image of the Jersey 2012 Two Pounds coin.

eurocoin

Yes, you are right that the 2012-dated 2 pound coin of Jersey does in fact exist. Indeed mintage of 5,000 pieces. Very rare piece. From what I have heard it was a private order i.e. the coins went to a dealer.

Anyhow, what you got are not mintage figures and the figures that the Jersey government has can generally not be used as mintage figures. They only keep records of how many coins of each denomination they order from the mint each year, not what the date on the coins is. That is relevant as Jersey does not redate the minting dies each year.

As the Jersey 2 pounds coin was not minted often and redated each time, you got lucky and these figures are accurate. Numista is for example full of fake mintage figures and non-existing dates after people sent similar requests to the Jersey government for figures about the other denominations, which were not redated each time.

hkfears

When writing to the Jersey officials, I made it very clear that I wanted to know the number of coins with the dates on them -- not the number of coins minted in a given year.