News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Lowest denominations

Started by mrbadexample, March 24, 2016, 10:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbadexample

Quote from: chrisild on April 27, 2016, 10:20:16 PM
To each their own. :) Quite a few coin collectors cherish old "ornate" designs and dislike or even despise "modern" ones. Not sure why, but that's the way it is ...

Christian

Well to me the 1904 is a work of art. The best that can be said about the later ones is that they're, erm, functional.  :P

Aluminium as a choice for coins doesn't appeal to me much either.

Pabitra

Quote from: Figleaf on April 20, 2016, 09:27:24 PM
I challenge you to find a 20th century Travancore cash coin.

Travancore 1 Cash 1928

mrbadexample

mrbadexample

In the meantime you'll have to content yourselves with a British West Africa 1/10 penny, 1936. A favourite of mine as it was my first coin of Edward VIII. This is the one with no mint mark. Hunt as I might, I haven't yet managed to find either the Heaton or the Kings Norton varieties of this one. :(

Figleaf

The fun symbol on this coin is the six-pointed star (actually two entangled triangles) that is of Moroccan origin. It is still the central symbol of the Moroccan flag*. North African traders crossed the Sahara not just to rescue heroes of European novels threatened with thirsty death, but also to get wealthy and to get slaves, in direct competition with British, French, Dutch and American slavers and traders in the coastal towns. Moroccan coins circulated in the area, once known as Guinea.

By the time these coins were issued, the star had apparently become part of what the locals thought a copper coin ought to look like.

Peter

* That one is 5-pointed. Actually, it could have from five to nine points.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Here are three types/kings of BWA 1/10 penny; the centre one of these is Kings Norton and the last from Nigeria BWA.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

mrbadexample

I hadn't seen the Nigeria one before Mal. However, I'm primarily interested in the Edward VIII issue for 1936. I have the one without the mint mark (like your example), but I have been unable to find either of the two mint marks. I have all three of the pennies, all three of the halfpennies, but the 1/10 pennies elude me. Looking at Krause, the Heaton mint mark is particularly scarce, although not a particularly low mintage. Did something happen to the bulk of these, I wonder?  :-\

malj1

QuoteI hadn't seen the Nigeria one before Mal.

This is said to be the first aluminium coin struck.

QuoteHowever, I'm primarily interested in the Edward VIII issue for 1936.

See below the mintage figures for the Edward VIII issue. Apparently the Heaton pieces were not sent to BWA. Jerry Remick considers the one tenth penny to be one of the rarest of the British empire coins with only 15-35 extant. From the A Numismatic History of the Birmingham Mint - Sweeny.

Scan from The Coinage of British West Africa & St Helena - David Vice.
Malcolm

mrbadexample

Thanks Mal,

Is this another one where they were melted down at the mint instead of being shipped to the intended destination country? It would explain the high prices suggested, as the mintage isn't that low. I haven't yet seen a KN variety either though.

It looks like it'll put paid to me completing my Edward VIII collection. :(

mrbadexample

Straits Settlements ¼ cent 1884.

mrbadexample

Here you go Mal, Jersey 1/52 shilling. Proofs minted in 1941 and 1961 but currency coins only in 1841 and as I understand it all are overdated 1841/0.

malj1

There are three minor varieties of the 1841 date; yours seems to be the third.

From A L T McCammon; Currencies of the Anglo-Norman Isles

Note typos - correctly reads 1841 and 1861
Malcolm

mrbadexample

Thanks Mal, always happy with a bit of extra information. :)

mrbadexample

British India, 1/12 anna 1921:

Figleaf

This one is fun to compare with a large Canadian cent. Not even the leaves of the same tree and yet...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.