Need a little help with a 1972 Egypt 10 Millieme, I think

Started by Prosit, November 04, 2013, 03:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globetrotter

Hi Gérard,

that's the common coin, the one I'm missing! You already have my address, what can I send you?

A+

gerard974

Hello Ole
The hard disk who i have all my adress is HS,please send me yours with PM. The coin is a gift
Best regards  Gerard

Coin Pioneer

Hi there,

I have an Egyptian 10 millièmes 1972 (should be KM#A426 I think) and according to the KM and what I read here, there are supposed to be two different edge varieties. But the one I have doesn't have any letters on the edge at all – see scan!

Does anyone have any information about this coin? Is this an unreported error? A fake? Something else? Or am I wrong and it's not #A426 at all? ???

Jonas

Afrasi

Your piece was a long time in use. So my best guess is the Arabic letters were originally there, but did disappear over the years.

Figleaf

I'm more inclined to take this for an error. It is easy to understand. Coins are struck with two dies and a collar, all coming together at the same time. All it takes to produce a blank edge is forgetting to mount the collar. If so, your coin should be slightly larger than 23 mm, as the metal had slightly more room to expand. If the coin is slightly less than 23 mm, it is a do-it-yourself error: someone polished off the letters to fabricate an error.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coin Pioneer

The coin is exactly 23 mm and weighs 1.76 g, so I don't the think the letters have been polished off. Also, I'd expect the edge to be shinier than the rest of the coin if it had been polished off.

Taking a second look, there is something on the edge which I took for scratches but could be (remnants of) Arabic letters. They're somewhat off centre though. Could this be jim - mim? These two "scratches" is all I can see on the edge, the rest is just plain.

Maybe it's simply a poor strike?

Afrasi

Yes, these are the relicts of the edge inscription. This kind of wear is usual at such kind of edge inscriptions.