News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of The Isle of Man"

Started by <k>, October 14, 2011, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iknw07554

I love the IOM coins, and those of other islands like Gibraltar ,Falklands and Channel Islands.

Now clearly, (unless I win the lottery) I am not able to get all of them, there must be hundreds of them.So I focussing on topics on like., such as aircraft ,D day and war commemoratives for example.

Now , I get a little confused when it comes to novelty topics like Harry Potter ,Star Trek etc .Its not that I don't like them - it's whether it makes me not a serious collector in some people's eyes who are purists and think only currency coins are worthy of collection.

I am sure you will have views

<k>

Collectors tend to be more interested in commemoratives when younger and more dismissive of them when older. This suggests to me that you are certainly under 50 years of age, and possibly still in your 20s or early 30s. Since you will probably eventually go through a dismissive phase when older, you should try to ensure that you will have as few regrets as possible when you reach that stage.

Try, then, to spend as little money as possible on these collector coins. They may sometimes hold their value, as regards what a collector will pay for them, but a dealer would usually offer you much less than you paid for them. So, if you want 30 IOM "crowns" but can't afford them all, choose the least expensive. Of those that are least expensive, try to restrict yourself to those that you like the most. If at all possible, go for those that commemorate IOM events rather than American space programs - these are more suitable and authentic subjects for the little IOM.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Quote from: iknw07554 on January 27, 2016, 04:37:53 PM
Its not that I don't like them - it's whether it makes me not a serious collector in some people's eyes who are purists and think only currency coins are worthy of collection.

Be in no doubt: purists will never regard you as a serious collector, given your current interests. However, though it's wise to listen to other people's advice, ultimately it's up to you what advice you choose to take seriously. So, beyond that, don't worry about other people's opinions. Your aim should be to have the maximum fun while spending the minimum money.

And don't worry - most older and serious collectors also have one or two trinkets in their collections, just for fun. Nobody's collection is entirely serious, and nobody's collection is entirely trivial. Our administrator Figleaf has reached the point where he despises collector coins, because they are not money and are not meant to be spent. Yet I post all sorts of these pieces in the thematics boards, and Figleaf looks at some of them and is more than happy to share his vast knowledge of history and transport (ships in particular), if the collector coins feature these subjects - though he would never these days dream of buying any such piece. So there is something for everyone, and you shouldn't worry what people think of your collection - it's yours and your business, nobody else's. But do seek out advice, yet do make up your own mind. Try to have the maximum fun for the minimum money. And finally: if in doubt, leave it out. If you're not sure you like something or want it only to be a completist or because you're bored, then save your money for another day.

iknw07554

Hi,

I am really flattered ,as I just 64 however you are right in one crucial respect , I have been collecting for about a year . So maybe the young and old phase you mention depends not on actual age but age of collecting.

I only started by digging out from the loft coins my dad left ,and there are some good currency coins there . I have been learning a lot from swap sites like Numista and now this one., but you are right if I happy with it - it doesn't matter .

My grandson is seven and he has shown some interest ,so I hope he will not leave as long as his grandad to develop the hobby.

Thanks as always for the good advice.

<k>

Quote from: iknw07554 on January 27, 2016, 05:43:56 PM
Hi,

I am really flattered ,as I just 64 however you are right in one crucial respect , I have been collecting for about a year . So maybe the young and old phase you mention depends not on actual age but age of collecting.

That explains it, then. I wish you happy collecting.  ;)

eurocoin

In 2017, the Isle of Man is going to introduce a 12-sided 1 pound coin as has just been confirmed to me by the government of the Isle of Man.

andyg

This years (2016) TT 50p will be issued on 5th June - subject "TT Legends"
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan71

Regarding the comment on the 1985 1/2p posted in the other topic: "Here you see the only decimal halfpenny, dated 1985, of the whole of the sterling area, that carried Raphael Maklouf's effigy of the Queen. It is possible, though, that it was only issued in sets. There were collector versions in other metals too, e.g. silver"

I have an example of the base metal version - I got it because, as stated in the post, it was the only one anywhere with the Maklouf portrait and dated 1985.  I got one in the late 90s or early 00s from a dealer - looking at my list of what I paid, I got this plus 1989 1p and 2p coins all for £1.20.  This would suggest it was issued outside of sets?  This was well before the eBay/internet era that inflated prices. 

The dealer was Malcolm Coeshaw in Leeds.  Anyone heard of him?  Guessing he may have died as can't see any online presence anywhere.

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on May 30, 2016, 09:22:24 PM
I have an example of the base metal version - I got it because, as stated in the post, it was the only one anywhere with the Maklouf portrait and dated 1985.  I got one in the late 90s or early 00s from a dealer - looking at my list of what I paid, I got this plus 1989 1p and 2p coins all for £1.20.  This would suggest it was issued outside of sets? 

Did it look circulated? IOM sets were cheap and plentiful. It's not impossible that somebody may have pulled one out of a set.

The dealer was Malcolm Coeshaw in Leeds.  Anyone heard of him?  Guessing he may have died as can't see any online presence anywhere.

He was one of the first mail order coin dealers I bought from, starting in 1979. I continued ordering from him until about 1987. Haven't heard anything about him for years.

Alan71

It didn't look uncirculated, put it that way, but that could be because, if it was extracted from a set early on, it had met with air.

andyg

Quote from: andyg on May 30, 2016, 05:12:07 PM
This years (2016) TT 50p will be issued on 5th June - subject "TT Legends"

An image has appeared on a well known coin blog - seems to be a new portrait from the Pobjoy Mint.

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

So it is, though rather awful. It's already been used by BVI and BAT. Niels asked the Manx authorities if they intended to use it on their circulation coins, but apparently they do not.

<k>

Here's something I missed while re-doing the main topic. From 1971 to 1979, this (above) was the standard circulation reverse.

From 1980, Isle of Man always appeared on the obverse of the coin - sometimes also ADDITIONALLY on the reverse, as on this FAO coin, though not always.

However, the pound coin initially followed the previous trend: Elizabeth the Second on the obverse, Isle of Man (or briefly Ellan Vannin) on the reverse. That continued until 1987. Then, from 1988 onwards, the obverse of the pound always included "Isle of Man". See the attached images. I suspect this is because the pound coin scarcely circulated and was really intended for sets. As often noted, the Manx prefer their pound notes, which they still issue. I am surprised that nobody pointed this all out. I don't really want to redo the topic now.  :-X

eurocoin

Next year the Isle of Man is going to introduce a new series of coins. The coins will be minted at the Tower Mint.  >:(

Alan71

Am I right in thinking the current circulating coin series is by far the longest-running in the decimal history of the Isle of Man?  If so, it's high time it was changed.

Can someone summarise the from/to dates of each series?