Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of Gibraltar"

Started by <k>, October 17, 2011, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Quote from: Pabitra on March 12, 2015, 03:17:00 AM
From which mint?

Perhaps they have set up a mint by getting a striking press and buying off the shelf blanks :-)

The new series of coins was minted at the Tower Mint.

Candy

Quote from: Pabitra on January 15, 2015, 04:38:30 PM
Yes.
Apparently, unlike UK, they do not plan to hang on to coin denominations which are no longer "in demand".

could you clarify ?  Do you mean they are stopping issuing them ?

Pabitra

eurocoin

New 20 pence coin:

<k>

That looks good.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

QuoteIn the UK, the five pound coins are collector coins only and are not intended to circulate. I do not know whether that is also the case in Gibraltar.

Same for Gibraltar.

<k>

Quote from: Niels on December 09, 2015, 03:26:20 PM
Same for Gibraltar.

Thank you, I thought not but couldn't be sure. I have amended my post.

Pabitra

The U.K. Circulation set does not carry that denomination coin but Gibraltar set does.

<k>

I have just made two amendments to the main topic:

1] I included the amended 10 pence of 2013 here.

2] I amended the post here to say that there were two versions of the smaller 10 pence issued in 1994: the Europort design and the Moorish Castle design.

chrisild

More or less accidentally :) I came across this e-book which may be worth reading for those interested in Gibraltar's coins. "The Currency and Coinage of Gibraltar, 1704-2014" by Richard J M Garcia MBE. This is a PDF file, 70 pages, 20 MB. (A forum search for the author's name did not yield any results, so I think this is not old hats ...)

Christian

Figleaf

Mmm. Look at the bottom of the post...

The link has a copyright issue, so the book can't be placed on the bookshelf.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on February 11, 2017, 11:17:45 PM
Mmm.

My apologies. I did search before I posted, but that search was limited to this forum. :)

Christian

eurocoin

Quote from: Pabitra on January 15, 2015, 07:01:25 PM
Yes. All designs are changed from 2012 series except 5 Pounds.

The "standard circulating" 5 pounds coin in 2014 was in fact changed too. Tower Mint issued a 5 pounds coin with a new design as well as one with the design that had been used in previous years. Although this new piece was also included in the legislation for the series, the majority of the year sets of 2014 contained the brass piece with the old design. Only very recently the new piece, which has been minted in alpaca, has been reported by someone. The piece with the new design is much rarer than the one with the old design.

To the left the 2014 old design 5 pounds coin in brass and to the right the 2014 new design 5 pounds coin in alpaca.

Alan71

Another new series of coins for Gibraltar was announced in 2017 to mark the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum.  In this, Gibraltarian citizens were asked whether they wished to pass under Spanish sovereignty, with Gibraltarians keeping their British citizenship and a special status for Gibraltar within Spain; or remain under British sovereignty, with institutions of self-government.

The result was an overwhelming majority (12,138 to 44 of valid votes) wanting to remain under British sovereignty.

As an anniversary, the coins were a one-year series.  However, they weren't actually issued until 2018.  The 1p and 2p made a comeback with these issues, although they had never actually gone out of circulation in Gibraltar.

Image is from my collection.  The £2 coin is yet to be issued.  As with Isle of Man, the £1 remains round.

The 20p is unique in that the denomination is rendered in figures as well as words.  This is thought to be a mistake, and perhaps a remnant from an earlier version of the designs.

As the reverse designs are identical, this is believed to be the first time this has been done in any of "the six" since Jersey abandoned their coat of arms design after 1981.

The obverse is the now-familiar Pobjoy effigy of the Queen.

eurocoin