News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of The Isle of Man"

Started by <k>, October 14, 2011, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED

This is as good a spot as any for my query I think....

I have a Silver 1978 'Round Pound'

The coin looks normal (Few small marks, it's not in a capsule or anything)

BUT The coin only weighs 4.01-4.02g
Has a circumference of only 22mm exactly, and a thickness of 1.5mm

Any ideas what's going on here ??
It's supposed to be 4.6g and 22.5mm

andyg

Quote from: RED on February 24, 2015, 11:12:50 PM
BUT The coin only weighs 4.01-4.02g
Has a circumference of only 22mm exactly, and a thickness of 1.5mm

Any ideas what's going on here ??
It's supposed to be 4.6g and 22.5mm

Think the weight in Krause is wrong - the earlier issues match your weights, the post 1983 issues match the weight in Krause.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

RED

Aah.. Thanks for that Andy.

Annoying when we have this wealth of knowledge called T'Interwebs and it lets you down on something like that.

RED

Hmm... the mystery deepens.
After recently hearing about the neodymium magnet trick to testing silver,
I tried it out with the above coin.... and the coin promptly stuck to the magnet !!!!

andyg

Quote from: RED on March 16, 2015, 02:34:11 PM
Hmm... the mystery deepens.
After recently hearing about the neodymium magnet trick to testing silver,
I tried it out with the above coin.... and the coin promptly stuck to the magnet !!!!

Looks like the nickel brass type to me - hope it's just the photos!
What are the batch marks on this one? (Can't see them from the photo)

RED

It has got a brassy tinge to it....but I thought they only did Virenium in 78 ??
(I checked the composition and it shouldn't be magnetic apparently)

Anyway, after a quick google, It's an AB

andyg

Two sorts - a silver one (should have batch marks "D" or "E")  or the Virenium which since this is "AB" it should be (but we've found odd things before with these)

Virenium is copper-nickel-zinc (almost brass), I'm not at all sure though how this would react to the magnet test quoted above.

malj1

Just checked 1979aa 1980aa 1981aa all magnetic.

1983 Peel is larger, much thicker and heavier, and is non-magnetic.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

SpaBreda

I just checked the 19 different ones I have from this series(1978-1981), and much to my surprise they all were attracted by my magnet !
Not very strong ...
Normal magnet.

Paul.

Candy

Quote from: Pabitra on June 25, 2014, 02:24:09 PM
5 and 10p for 2013 are Copper Nickel plated steel.
They need to be counted as new as they should get new KM#.
I am waiting to get hold of them to see weight variation.

Have you managed to get a hold of them yet ?

eurocoin

After 35 years, Pobjoy Mint has announced that they will stop the production of the 50 pence coins in the Christmas series. The 2014 coin was the last issue in this series.

iknw07554

I'm in a bit of a quandary , I have been collecting IOM crown sets . I do like them , but I do understand the view that they commemorate so many things that are not related to the IOM .They are not alone in this of course.

So, I have decided if I like the topic , then irrespective of what protectorate they are , I will try and get them, but not try to get them all For example , it would be good to get the Sherlock Holmes ones from the IOM , but not interested in the Harry Potter ones.

Your thoughts welcome.

Figleaf

I would advise you to split that thought in two.

One (among many) reasons to collect coins is an interest in the history of money and finance. People with this approach have no use for the modern IOM issues but like the earlier issues that served as money and were generally accepted and they sure like to discuss the symbolism. Completeness is not as important as having a collection that is representative of what was in circulation.

Another (equally valid) approach is to collect coins because of their design. In this line of thought, coins, tokens, medals and other stuff are of interest when they show a relevant theme only and it doesn't matter whether the pieces were used as money, decoration or something else. Completeness is possible in theory, especially if you have a very large budget.

By keeping the two thoughts separate, you don't "have to" buy stuff you don't enjoy. However, in my opinion it is advisable to know the status of the pieces you want to buy: money or not. This is because commercial sellers like the Pobjoy mint want to confuse you maximally on that point in order to sell more, even though your deception could hurt their sales when you decide to stop the frustration of finding out that what you bought isn't what you thought it was and seek another hobby. Knowledge and clear thinking are good weapons to fight the evil marketeers, keep your motivation intact and remain in control of your own money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

iknw07554

Thanks, Peter.

I think I probably have got a bit carried away in the past with completeness . I think I shall now be a bit more liberal, and just get what I like , it is a hobby after all ,not an endeavour.

I like bi metallic coins too and these fulfil your comment about currency and I learn a little history when I get one.

Oklahoman

I absolutely love the coins of Isle of Man.  For years my collection of Manx coinage was the most complete of any country in my collection.  I find the designs to be fascinating.  I notice folks are general about what they dislike.  One has said that they dont like the Harry Potter coins, what are some of the other crowns that are disliked?  Or liked for that matter?