Spelling mistake on the new banknotes of Belarus.

Started by Gusev, November 04, 2015, 07:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusev

In 2010, Belarus introduced new rules of spelling and punctuation. But this is not taken into account on the new banknotes.
https://www.charter97.org/ru/news/2015/11/4/176907/

Old Belarusian spelling: «пяцьдзЕсят»
New Belarusian spelling: «пяцьдзЯсят»
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

FosseWay

It is, however, rather telling that all the text on that poster apart from on the banknote itself is in Russian, not Belarusian. It does rather seem that Belarusian has a similar status in Belarus to that of Irish in Ireland - it is an official language and for patriotic and historical reasons it is prominent in official situations, often more so than Russian and English respectively, but it is not greatly used by the organs of government.

I can quite see that someone who in their daily life and work uses Russian will make that kind of mistake - the number is after all spelt пятьдесят in Russian, with an E.

Gusev

Quote from: FosseWay on November 05, 2015, 07:14:27 PM
1. It is, however, rather telling that all the text on that poster apart from on the banknote itself is in Russian, not Belarusian.

2. I can quite see that someone who in their daily life and work uses Russian will make that kind of mistake - the number is after all spelt пятьдесят in Russian, with an E.

1. You are not right.
Site (Charter97) - one of the main opposition Internet resources in Belarus is published in Belarusian, Russian and English languages since 1998. https://www.charter97.org/be/news/2015/11/4/176907/
The first editor was murdered in 2010. The new editor of this site since 2011 lived in Lithuania (has political asylum).

2. The version of the random error in the text is unlikely to my opinion. Too many people are involved in the development process of banknotes.
I assume that the design of the new banknotes was designed before the change the rules of spelling.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.