Canada Diwali coins

Started by quaziright, September 04, 2015, 11:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaziright

Maybe this is something the Indians on this forum may find interesting. Canada will issue a 25c and $2000 gold coins targeted at indo Canadians. The designs look unique imo from where I sit.

Pabitra

Not so good design

Figleaf

Diwali is a festival of light; not of maple leaves.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

quaziright

I think the idea is to illustrate the melding of canada and this festival represented by the integration of indo Canadians in mainstream society. In the brochure, the description is of the maple leaf istylized as a flame and something called an Ashoka wheel in the background

Bimat

The design isn't too bad IMO, but they should have made some reference to Diwali somewhere in the design. I believe the 25c coin can be had for face? If yes, I'm in! :) I think the image posted by Pabitra is only for representative purpose and the actual coin won't be gold colored?

In Punjab state of India, it is said that there are more Indian Sikhs in Canada than in Punjab. In every family, you will find at-least one member settled in Canada... :)

Aditya

Edit: Just checked RCM's website and the 25c coin is indeed made of gold (half gram) so can'e be had for face. *Sigh*
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

quaziright

Bimat

The Canadian 50c gold coin has created quite some buzz in Indian market. Met a few collectors today (not much in foreign coins) have already placed their orders through dealers or otherwise for this particular coin. According to them, this is the first coin in the world commemorating Diwali (I guess that's correct)...

I hope RCM doesn't come to know about the craze for such coins in India, else it will start minting coins commemorating each and every festival in India (few hundred). :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.