A couple of Newfoundland coins

Started by tonyclayton, July 07, 2009, 09:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyclayton

These coins of Newfoundland have very low mintages by the standards of modern Euro and US issues.

The 5c looks as if it was put in a Christmas Pudding. 1941 is the most common of the George VI 5c issues, with a mintage of 612,641.  The small C below the date indicates that it was struck in Ottawa.

The 10c is rather older.  150,000 of this 1912 coin were minted at the Royal Mint in London

Figleaf

As I have argued elsewhere, low mintage says something about supply, nothing about demand. If you want to collect low mintage coins, try the Seychelles. You'll be surprised at how easy it is, considering mintage figures.

I bought an almost complete type set of Canadian and Newfoundland coins (excluding gold) on a trip to Canada in 1968. I was a student and always near bankruptcy. When I look at those coins now, I think I might have bought fewer, but better coins. Oh well...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I have a nearly complete set of Canadian 1-cent coins by date and very few others from that country.

New Foundland, I have two coins, one 1940 1-Cent and one 1941C 1-Cent.  Pretty nice coins...not as interesting as Tony's 5C & 10C coins pictured in this thread but nice enough for me.

The 1940 1C shows 300k mintage but there is listed a re-engraved die variety that list for a bit more money than the run of the mill 1940 1C.  I have no clue how to tell them apart.

The two Newfoundland coins were given to me by a good friend's brother. He lives in St. John's and said he found them in his attic sitting on a ceiling rafter.  He is a non-collector.  I find it interesting to speculate how they came to be there.

Dale

BC Numismatics

Quote from: tonyclayton on July 07, 2009, 09:31:35 PM
These coins of Newfoundland have very low mintages by the standards of modern Euro and US issues.

The 5c looks as if it was put in a Christmas Pudding. 1941 is the most common of the George VI 5c issues, with a mintage of 612,641.  The small C below the date indicates that it was struck in Ottawa.

The 10c is rather older.  150,000 of this 1912 coin were minted at the Royal Mint in London

Tony,
  The 1912 10c. & 20c. coins still elude me,but I do have the 1917C 10c. coin in my collection.

The Newfoundland coin series is notoriously difficult to collect.

Try looking for an example of the gold $2 coin.

Aidan.

BC Numismatics

Tony,
  As it turns out,I do have a worn example of the 1912 10c. coin.

It is the 1904H & 1912 20c. coins,& the 1919C 25c. coin that still elude me.

I picked up a worn example of the 1865 20c. coin with the date still legible & an example of the extremely underrated 1911 50c. coin nearly 3 months ago.

The Newfoundland 1911 50c. coin is one that a lot of collectors haven't got in their collections.

Aidan.