Kam Baksh dar al zafar Bijapur, 1120Ah copper

Started by abhinumis, July 23, 2015, 11:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi all,
Sharing another rarity from my collection.
This is the only mint producing copper coins for this enigmatic ruler.. The copper coins bear the adopted title 'din-e-panah' by Kam Baksh, son of Aurangzeb.. With less than 10 coins known one of the rarities of Mughal coppers.
Obverse- Din e panah badshah 1120Ah
reverse- Dar al zafar bijapur ry2
Dr.Abhishek

Figleaf

There's quite gap between the number of characters I can make out on the picture and the text you give. A case of pattern recognition, I guess? Did the seller know what it was? Did you know when you bought it?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

This is one of those rulers i had heard about, but knew nothing of. You showing this rarity is a great incentive for me to do some additional reading. Thanks for showing !

abhinumis

I knew it right away Peter sir. Will illustrate the legend on the coin for your pursuance. THcoins thanks for the appreciation. It is definitely one of the enigmatic rulers who fell in the quest to be the ruler of the subcontinent.
Dr.Abhishek

abhinumis

Obverse
Dar al zafar- Dark green
Bijapur- Green
red- 2

Reverse-
Din panah- Yellow
Blue- Badshah

Peter, I hope the legend is clear.. and more that 70% is on flan.
Dr.Abhishek

Figleaf

Great show, abhinumis. Thank you. I'd figured out the 2 correctly :) It does show how many characters (except those of the word Bijapur) are only partially on the coin. I know from European medieval coins how difficult such characters are to identify, so I maintain my compliments for having recognised the pattern they form. It takes endless ploughing through catalogues to be able to do that. Am happy to see such an important coin so well documented here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Not everybody, even experienced numismatist, could have been able to detect this coin among others... :applause:
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

abhinumis

Thanks a lot Bernard sir.. Loving my quest for coppers....
Dr.Abhishek

abhinumis

Here are 2 other pics that I could get of these elusive pieces.. These was sold in Indian auction 6-7 years ago at a whopping price of $ 220 per coin...
Dr.Abhishek

mitresh

Abhishek is undoubtedly the KING of Coppers!! I do hope someday he publishes his awesome collection.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

abhinumis

Thanks a lot Mitresh ji for the kind words.. I'm just a 'Cuprophile' trying to find good coppers
Dr.Abhishek

abhinumis

Here is a better image uploaded on zeno
http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=157429
Dr.Abhishek

Saikat

Hi,
Just wanted to add mine!
Thanks,
Saikat