News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

1894 20 cent coin from Newfoundland, type 1 or 2??

Started by Alan Glasser, June 14, 2015, 05:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

Hello, and thanks so much for your kind assistance. I am breaking up my collection of many years of "odds and ends" that I have accumulated over the years and want to list on E-Bay, an 1894 Newfoundland 20 cent piece. After looking at several photos, I THINK the coin is a type 1, but if one of you knowledgeable collectors out there could tell me if I am right or wrong, I would appreciate it very much! Alan in MA  (Music coins)

Figleaf

Larger is not always better. I cut your picture's size by 50% and removed useless depth. Your coin is indeed obverse 1. The two (mini-)varieties are "best" seen by the tip of the top leaves of the wreath. On type 1, the right leaf is thinner; on type two they are equal size. Also, note the distance between the neck cut and the letter O in NEWFOUNDLAND. See the illustration here (scroll down a tad). Both variants seem to be priced the same.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alan Glasser

Hello, Peter, and as always, thanks.

I AM sorry about my photo. It's been a while since I have posted a photo and I'm afraid I am a bit out of practice. I'll try to do better next time!

Alan

Figleaf

Not to worry, Alan. If in doubt, send me the picture, scream and shout ;) I'd be happy to manipulate it for you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Globetrotter

Hi,

will anybody be so nice to post an image of the type 2? To see both together would be nicer and eventually a proper documentation could be made.

Ole

Figleaf

Just follow the link in Reply#1 and scroll down. You may not find the "difference" too different...

Peter