Indian Bank notes with same serial

Started by bububoy, June 12, 2015, 10:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bububoy

I don't collect bank notes, but at one of the recently concluded exhibitions one of the dealers had on display two modern Indian 10 Rupee Bank notes(with Gandhi) with exactly the same serial number. Now this is something "Unthinkable", as modern Bank note printing technology is pretty much advanced and i cannot understand of a situation where in the press would duplicate a number.
Is this something any of your bank note collectors encountered ?

mahe

asm

Some of them are deliberately done.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

Banknotes are numbered in a separate action. It used to be done by a mechanical device. If the counting mechanism gets stuck, by accident or on purpose, the device will continue to print the same number. I can imagine that the mechanical devices I know about have meanwhile been replaced by electronic devices, where duplication by accident would be practically impossible, unless there is malevolent human intervention.

Duplication outside the printing offices (e.g. by changing a 3 into an 8) is always a possibility.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Abhay

Did you note the signature of the Governor? Was it also the same?

There is another possibility that the INSET on both the notes is different, even if the serial number and Governor is the same.

The Inset is the Alphabet letter printed on the note at the time of the printing of the note itself, unlike the Serial Number, which is embossed after the printing of the note, but before the cutting of the Sheet in individual notes.

In the images, you can see the Inset "S" and "R" to understand it better.
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Bimat

In recent Mumbai exhibition, some sellers sold 'manipulated' error banknotes, worst of which was banknote(s) having different serial numbers at top and bottom (a difference of 2 million or even more). Of course, there are genuine errors of this kind, but... ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

dheer

Quote from: Figleaf on June 12, 2015, 07:53:11 PM
Banknotes are numbered in a separate action. It used to be done by a mechanical device.
Peter

Yes Peter, that was true in past. In India these days its no longer mechanical for printing numbers, its screen printing.

There are also FAKES, i.e. just reprint the numbers with a ink jet printer ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Abhay

I have 2 full packs of 5 rupee Notes, having the same serial numbers (51F 000001 - 51F 000100) with the same Governor - Bimal Jalan. But as I said above, just note the INSET, it is "L" in one case while "R" in the other.

I hope this explains the query.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

bububoy

Dear Abhay, et al.
thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. attached is the scan of the two bills which i mentioned, i checked and the inset also remains the same.

mahe

Bimat

There could be different signatures of governors..(just a possibility)!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Enlil

Agrsankalp

I have a pair of Rs 2 notes that have the same serial number, same governor, same letter. It was part of a bank issued bundle of Rs.2 notes that was supposed to have 100 notes but had 101. On closer inspection this peculiar pair was found.