News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

thaon les Vosges 50 francs

Started by Michiel, March 06, 2015, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michiel

this really big (41 mm) french 50 francs coin has a lot of countermarks.
I can't find any info about this coin. In the hans meyer the highest is 5 francs, in the robert a lamb the thaon is even not listed.

So, does anyone has some info about this coin?

maxmissy

This token is described in the Elie catalogue ( see extract )
Explanation of the countermarks :
First c/m : " CONTR 1951 " this c/m was used to validate the use in 1951 ( and after ) because this token had been minted before ( maybe 1949, not confirmed )
Second c/m : This token had been edited in francs, but in 1960, there was a change : the " nouveau franc " ( " new franc " ) was born. 1 Nouveau franc = 100 francs. So, there was a change on these tokens, transforming the "F" ( for "francs" ) in "C" ( for "centimes " ). No change was made on he reverse, keeping " Bon pour cinquante Francs ", which is rather confusing...!

Michiel

Thanks for the fast and clear answer. i allready hoped it was listed in an other catalog. The meyer and the lamb are quitte complete till today for me.

maxmissy

The Elie catalogue has been edited in 2003 ( roughly 13000 french necessity tokens )
I am quite sure that it is still procurable, but maybe only there :
http://www.acjm.fr/

Have a nice day

Figleaf

Lamb is sorely incomplete. Two other authors precede Elie with ever larger catalogues. A lot of tokens still have not found their way into Elie, but it is vastly better than all the others. I bought my copy from Poinsignon in Strasbourg.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Michiel

Quote from: Figleaf on March 07, 2015, 03:26:26 PM
Lamb is sorely incomplete. Two other authors precede Elie with ever larger catalogues. A lot of tokens still have not found their way into Elie, but it is vastly better than all the others. I bought my copy from Poinsignon in Strasbourg.

Peter

I use the meyer as leading catalog for the french notgeld. The lamb only when the meyer has no entry.
I know that both are not very great, but better something than nothing  ;D . Have an library full of numis books and catalogs. Its impossible to have an good catatlog of every coin in the collection