3 coins need help

Started by mrmoon, February 24, 2015, 04:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmoon

My grandpa gave me a box of coins he brought back from Europe and gave them to me a few years ago iv identified most of them but these three have me stumped and iv been itching to know what they are.

19 mm and 7mm thick
The third is 25 mm

Andrey5

The third one seems to be a counting token - Rechenpfennig
Collecting African coins and tokens, selling more than 4500 world coins from www.avscoins.com

mrmoon

Thatnks for the reply! What is a counting token and it says saint Marc on or side

Andrey5

The beginning of the article shows a table for counting with the help of counting tokens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeton
The second link will give you enough samples of counting tokes, many of which were made in Nurnberg.
http://www.ma-shops.com/shops/search.php5?searchstr=Deutschland+Rechenpfennig+Nurnberg&lang=en
Collecting African coins and tokens, selling more than 4500 world coins from www.avscoins.com

Figleaf

Please remove the other two coins and post them again in a separate thread. They belong on three different boards. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

The middle one looks Islamic but photo is too dark to see
Vic

mrmoon

Figleaf  I'll move the first to the Roman coin board but I have no idea where to even put the second one.

And capnbirdseye I'll get some better pictures and to replace the ones I have posted. Thanks

Figleaf

You can put them on this board. When it is identified, it will be moved to the correct board.

The second photo is indeed much too dark. Chase up contrast and lighten it, don't worry about the colour. While you are at it, cut away the superfluous background and make your picture bigger. Else take a new picture. Even at best, people cannot see all details.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

As best I can tell I think this is the right way up, could be either Mughal or Sultanate but currently not clear enough to be sure & the weight is also most important as it can give an instant clue
Vic

mrmoon

So I need seprate threads for each coin posted to the unidentified items board ?  If that's right I'll keep that in mind.

I got better pictures but I will edit them before posting and I'll get the weight when I get off work.

saro

Yes it is now in the right way !  and it is with few doubt, a mughal coin. I think that I can read "zarb (B)aira(t) on right picture.

Please mrmoon, could you give us the weight ? as Capnbirdseye says, it could be decisive.

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

mrmoon

saro

Thank you for the weight, it's with no doubt a mughal dam of Bairat mint, probably of Jahangir.
Letters of legends are thick and the left scan should include the ruler's name...at top it seems that there is a date ending by the digit "4" (at 2 o'clock.
Here the reverse with "zarb Bairat", unable to say more ... ???
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Great id, saro!

All that's left to do now is split the first post.

Peter