News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Cartaux - engraver

Started by africancoins, March 21, 2010, 01:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horacio

Fundición de Cobre, CATEMU, CHILE, South America.
Struck by Francis Cartaux.

malj1

Very nice token.

I found another here, a 10c token, in this history of The Copper Mines Company of Catesby (Llay-Llay)

I especially liked this bit!

...and the income tax was nonexistent because the treasury was financed fully with export duties of nitrate.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Horacio

Well, export duties are tax too, and reduce the income of the companies....

I have a second CATEMU token struck by Francis Cartaux: 20 c made in nickel. Catemu, as the token says, was a copper mine.
The 10c token, made in bakelite (rubber), was struck in Chile.

Figleaf

Horacio is right. An export tax is a tax also. Furthermore, what is politely called nitrate here, is in fact  ... uhhh ... bird droppings. They spread a certain aroma that even a tax inspector cannot compete with. :laughing:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

A nice 10c Consommer token showing a racehorse, probably from a race game machine.

Depose inverted with FC mm. brass, 19mm.
Malcolm

africancoins

This one is a 31mm piece with the tiny "FC" mark - likely a machine token.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

Bought these four together on the "Braderie de Lille". Numbers 3 and 4 look nickelled, while 1 and 2 are likely nickelled brass. All are around 23 mm. I think the four are French gaming tokens.

I took detailed pictures of the producers marks. File names refer to the pictures of the tokens. Numbers 2 and 3 have a triangular mark with what I read as TC below, probably the mark of Thévenon & Cie., but I can't make out what is in the upper part of the triangle. Numbers 1 and 4 have a parallelogram shaped mark that is not clear enough to read. On number 1, the mark is divided in four equal parts. I would expect that this mark would also be used by Thévenon or a successor company.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

The symbol above the "TC" could be a shape representing a minting press..  as seen above "FC" in a triangle by Cartaux....

The separator between "JETON" and "PRIME" is a "four-part diamond spacer" (and is used on a few British machine tokens that are nothing to do with France as far as is known).

I have several "JETON PRIME" pieces, but do not re-call the name "OTOMATO M.V.".

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

FosseWay

Otomato is I think Turkish for automat/vending machine.

malj1

To me they all look to be badly struck mint-marks of Francis Cartaux = FC with a barrel above and all in a triangle.

I too have several of these Jeton Prime or bonus tokens from slot machines which probably entitle the winner to another free go on the machine.

Here below is one of my pieces this bears the FC mintmark.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Thank you, gentlemen. Since the small horizontal stroke of an F is just not there on the four marks, I think we should stick with Thévenon, who is known to have used the triangle TC mark. Nevertheless, from the (coin press) mark, it would seem that there is a connection between Thévenon and the brothers Cartaux. Otherwise, the two marks would have been too close to get past a judge.

I am still wondering about the spacer, as it appears only when there is no triangle mark. I am sure Paul is right that it appears on UK tokens, but since we know that Cartaux (and perhaps Thévenon) sold to the UK that doesn't tell us much.

Nothing solid on Otomato M.V. I suspect M.V. is a legal form of an enterprise, which would be a clue to a country.

Peter

redwine

I have a small bucketful of these type of tokens.  I believe they are in Research Station Alpha.  I do not generally visit in the Winter but should there be a break in the weather I might just venture forth...............
I think they're Cartaux.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

africancoins

I had suppose there was something about the "T" or "F" on these that made Peter sure of them being "T" rather than "F". From the images I could not see they were definitely "T" and I could not see that they were definitely "F". But Peter was likely able to look at them more clear than I could.....   Also wouldn't Thevenon ...  is usually T & Cie

So these pieces are Cartaux.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

Quote from: FosseWay on January 17, 2016, 09:11:30 PM
Otomato is I think Turkish for automat/vending machine.

The Turkish catalogue lists three vending machine tokens that use the term Otamatik
Malcolm

Figleaf

Does it explain the MV also? The closest I get in Turkish is Meslek Yüksekokulu (vocational school), which makes no sense and uses a Y, rather than a V.

Peter