Taxiphone

Started by redwine, February 14, 2012, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwine

Thanks Guvnor! ;D
I'm going to say Cafe Boulogne, a small operation in the 666th arrondissement of Paris :P
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

That does sound a likely scenario.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

orsk2

Dahomey. D.T.  P.T.T.
Visit my website http://coins.ucoz.net

Figleaf

Not Dahomey, but France: Directorate for Telephones. See reply #21.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

orsk2

The article says that date is replaced by the letters D.T
A token on the date 1947 and the letters are replaced with the word PUBLICS.
Visit my website http://coins.ucoz.net

malj1

The article is a little mixed as the information refers to the wrong sides.
Malcolm

redwine

According to Groenendijk H. , "A catalog of Telephone and Telegraph tokens of the world",
Targonsky P., "A catalog of telephone tokens of the world" attributes this to Dahomey.

I asked the chap from the site above for a citation for his claim but he was unable to supply it.

Figleaf

Yes, it does seem to be an ingrained myth. It is extremely unlikely, though, while the Direction des Téléphones fits like a glove. Similar abbreviations for Directorates that are companies abound in France. Moreover, DT is in the wrong order for something like Téléphone Dahomey. What clinches it is the story about how they would jam French cells, being one tenth of a mm too large.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have come across a couple of other errors in that book. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book to recall what they were now.
Malcolm

Afrasi

Quote from: Figleaf on January 12, 2015, 11:27:07 AMWhat clinches it is the story about how they would jam French cells, being one tenth of a mm too large.

Not "one tenth of a mm too large", but - at least my piece - 1.3 mm too large.

Another question is: Why is this one so much scarcer, then the older one?

Figleaf

Because it was too large and blocked the phone cells, I suppose.

Peter

Afrasi

This would leave the Paris Mint in a bad light ...

redwine

I'm not convinced by this argument!
I'm leaning towards Dahomey.
France Telecom?
Uncited quotes?
Size/weight inconsistencies?
Had I been able to post earlier I would have done.
How big is the slot?  I don't know.  The man with the website doesn't say so.

Figleaf

The job of a French civil servant behind a window is to make the life of the people who pay them as miserable as they can. During the nine months I tried to register my car and the 15 months I tried to get the obligatory state medical insurance, there was at least one person crying with frustration on every visit I made to the préfecture and the Sécurité Sociale offices. That gave the uncivil non-servants evident pleasure. The mint wouldn't give a hooter-de-tooter if people couldn't find a working phone booth because of their ineptitude.

Peter

redwine

Another nice piccy of the apparatus available on ebay