News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Nomination: The Coinage of the Irish Free State

Started by Figleaf, December 21, 2014, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

I am nominating the thread The Coinage of the Irish Free State for a Best of World of Coins award. The article goes through the organisation, design and introduction of the coins in great depth with numerous illustrations. It makes the thinking behind the process and the final choice clear and it stresses the innovative character of the series, coming from a necessity to make a clean break with a clouded past.

From that starting point, the author adds a creative part on how the series, directly or indirectly, influenced the design of other series of coins. The argument is coherent, the examples well chosen. This part adds to our knowledge and understanding of coin design.

The article suffers from a lack of sourcing. That is my fault. I have the sources used and promised to insert the appropriate footnotes. I couldn't keep my promise for insufficient energy. I haven't given up, but I can't finish the job in time.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.