New pound coins in 2017

Started by andyg, March 18, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Quote from: augsburger on December 20, 2014, 12:04:01 PM
I had a dream last night that they announced the new portrait and then she died before it could be put on coins!

>:D >:D >:D

That's so cruel! It seems to me that you want her to die early?!?!? Any particular reason?

;D ;D ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

Quote from: chrisild on December 20, 2014, 11:21:04 AM
Interestingly the new £1 coins, dated 2017, will apparently not have a new portrait of QEII. ;)  This is an image from the World Money Fair catalog (WMF 2015); I condensed the ad a little by moving the two coin images closer together ...

Christian

I noticed that too, very poor ad in comparison to the ads of the other mints  :-X
The changeover to the new 1 pound coins has nothing to do with 2015 so they should better have presented their new commemoratives for 2015..

augsburger

Quote from: Bimat on December 20, 2014, 12:05:04 PM
>:D >:D >:D

That's so cruel! It seems to me that you want her to die early?!?!? Any particular reason?

;D ;D ;D

Aditya

No, it was more from the point of view of someone spends all their effort designing a coin, being happy they got it, then bang, all down the drain because someone didn't have the decency to stay alive.

malj1

Quote from: augsburger on December 20, 2014, 12:25:23 PM
No, it was more from the point of view of someone spends all their effort designing a coin, being happy they got it, then bang, all down the drain because someone didn't have the decency to stay alive.

We did have a similar situation back in 1937 when Edward VIII abdicated leaving the Royal mint with dozens of wasted coin types on their hands, both homeland types and colonial. However it has created a lot of interest which continues unabated even today.

See Re: King Edward VIII : His Place in Numismatics

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

kena

augsburger

Well if she were going to abdicate, she wouldn't do it this year I think. Though she's not going to, because of Edward.

kena

I don't think so either.

What is a worry to me is how long will she live or serve as Queen if Prince Philip dies before her.

Pabitra

Quote from: augsburger on December 20, 2014, 12:25:23 PM
No, it was more from the point of view of someone spends all their effort designing a coin, being happy they got it, then bang, all down the drain.

The design competition is only for the reverse and winning design will be used anyway.
The obverse effigy is already being redesigned .

augsburger

As far as I know there's a limited competition for designing the new queen's head. It doesn't involve "members of the public" but possibly those in the mint and a few other usual freelancers like David Cornell who are sculptors (or sculptures depending on how your predictive text wants to do it) and get asked to do jobs like this.

Pabitra

The limited design competition is for circulation coins to be issued in 2015 as a new effigy is proposed.
They same will also be used on 1 Pound bimetallic coin which is expected in 2017 if Her Majesty is still the reigning monarch.

Bimat

Here's the winning design: (Source: Royal Mint's twitter page)

We all know how obverse looks like ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

I really like the design. Very nice! 8)

Aditya

Figleaf

Stick in the mud, but I guess that's what they want. I grinned about the Lancaster (or York) rose branch growing out of the leek and wondered where the oak leaves in the centre are coming from.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

augsburger

Quote from: Figleaf on March 18, 2015, 09:49:37 AM
Stick in the mud, but I guess that's what they want. I grinned about the Lancaster (or York) rose branch growing out of the leek and wondered where the oak leaves in the centre are coming from.

Peter

I'd assume the "Oak leaves" are actually thistle leaves.

Here are some thistle leaves, can't find a picture with the head of the thistle as well.

Yeah, the design is very traditional, which after the Dent series of coins seems to be going backwards a bit.

Also using "flowers" like this was always going to be a bit disjointed. Why use a leek and not a daffodil? Having the Irish clover sticking out from one side as if it really doesn't belong could potentially be quite difficult if someone decides they don't like it in Northern Ireland.

I think the design works. It's not bad, it's not "wow" either. It does the job. I guess when it's small a lot of the issues will disappear.

chrisild