News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Canada may modify its 50 cents

Started by Pabitra, July 24, 2014, 01:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

In 2012, Canada introduced security features in 1 and 2 Dollar coins.
It is indicated ( sources not reliable) that same is likely to be done for 50  cents this year.
Apparently 50 cents of2014 are yet to be issued for circulation.

Can someone confirm?

Figleaf

Halves are not in demand in Canada, except on the West coast. That may not stop the Canadian mint from creating yet another type, hoping that collectors will buy them (as they will...)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

The data also seems to confirm that mintage of 50 cents has always been very low, as compared to denominations on either side.

But general circulation coins are not the ones on which mints make much money.
Canada mint issues more than 50 collector coins of fave value 1 to 25 dollars every year.
If they can not make money with them then this certainly is not the way.

quaziright

50c coins are not made for circulation

Pabitra

Quote from: quaziright on July 25, 2014, 02:46:07 PM

Since data is not available for all the years but if the coins are only meant for sets, then 250, 000 sets being sold in a year is rather hard to digest.

canadacoin

Quote from: quaziright on July 25, 2014, 02:46:07 PM

This is not exactly true, 50c are circulation coins, but due to relatively low mintage they "disappear" before general public sees them, often dealers purchase large quantities in banks. However several years ago I got change at post office in 50c coins, immediately bought (actually exchanged at the face value) remaining coins form the roll.

Pabitra

If you are from Canada, you could check up with appropriate sources.

I was informed that a new design with smaller coin of size between 24.5 to 25.5 mm size with new security features. Perhaps size was the reason for its being not so popular. The extra large size of half as against one, is inherited from United Kindom and is common in Australia, USA and Canada ( May be missing a few Anglo nations).

Figleaf

As mentioned above, there is some demand for halves on the West coast. There may be a connection with immigrants from Asia, who would not be socially conditioned to reject halves (I think Prosit has quite a strong point with this theory.) However, you cannot conclude from this demand that halves are in circulation. You can spend a month touring the country and not see a single half in circulation.

Likewise, halves do not circulate in the US. Yet, they are dispensed in the big gambling centres and some NY  train stations. Does that mean they are in general circulation? Every time I spent a half, it was either put in a separate box or in the cash register, in a compartment with paperclips, empty button batteries and ... Canadian coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on August 02, 2014, 12:05:40 PM
As mentioned above, there is some demand for halves on the West coast.

Sorry, but this is just not true!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

canadacoin

Quote from: andyg on August 02, 2014, 12:22:32 PM
Sorry, but this is just not true!
here is source and excerpt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50-cent_piece_(Canadian_coin)

Though it is regularly minted, it is not made in large quantities (approximate annual average production of 150,000), and since 2004 has only been available to the public directly from the mint. It is very rare to encounter this denomination in everyday transactions, since there seems to be the mistaken belief among many Canadians that the coin itself is rare and thus of value in excess of 50 cents. Most times, when a 50-cent piece is exchanged in a transaction, it is saved by its recipient. People quite commonly, upon being presented with 50-cent pieces, question the legality of the coin, because of the non-circulating status of the denomination. The coin occupies a similar status to that of the United States half-dollar coin. Newer vending machines do not generally accept it, even when they accept coins of both higher and lower value, but many older machines that were retooled to accept loonies will misidentify a 50-cent piece as a loonie, thus allowing the value of the coin to be doubled. A largely unsuccessful attempt was made by the Royal Canadian Mint to promote the use of the coin when a special edition was released in 2002 marking the 50th anniversary of the accession of Elizabeth II to the throne. After this failed promotion, the mint stopped distributing 50 cent pieces to banks, and now only sells them in rolls or in coin sets available directly from their Numismatic Department.

For the distribution of the coin you need vendors being able to accept it (see note from Figleaf regarding lack of drawers etc)

andyg

For the avoidance of doubt - it was the assertion that there is some demand for them on the west coast to which I was referring.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

My source for this contention is our member Colleen, who lives in Canada (but not on the West Coast).

Peter

quaziright

Quote from: canadacoin on August 02, 2014, 01:51:21 PM
here is source and excerpt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50-cent_piece_(Canadian_coin)

Though it is regularly minted, it is not made in large quantities (approximate annual average production of 150,000), and since 2004 has only been available to the public directly from the mint. It is very rare to encounter this denomination in everyday transactions, since there seems to be the mistaken belief among many Canadians that the coin itself is rare and thus of value in excess of 50 cents. Most times, when a 50-cent piece is exchanged in a transaction, it is saved by its recipient. People quite commonly, upon being presented with 50-cent pieces, question the legality of the coin, because of the non-circulating status of the denomination. The coin occupies a similar status to that of the United States half-dollar coin. Newer vending machines do not generally accept it, even when they accept coins of both higher and lower value, but many older machines that were retooled to accept loonies will misidentify a 50-cent piece as a loonie, thus allowing the value of the coin to be doubled. A largely unsuccessful attempt was made by the Royal Canadian Mint to promote the use of the coin when a special edition was released in 2002 marking the 50th anniversary of the accession of Elizabeth II to the throne. After this failed promotion, the mint stopped distributing 50 cent pieces to banks, and now only sells them in rolls or in coin sets available directly from their Numismatic Department.

For the distribution of the coin you need vendors being able to accept it (see note from Figleaf regarding lack of drawers etc)

Yes I agree with this. I just said they're not meant for circulation because banks do not distribute them anymore. You can get them at near face from the mint website. So I was talking from a laymans perspective. I don't think he would consider a 50c as a normal circulation coin. I checked with lots of my Vancouver/ Victoria friends too. We mostly use plastic anyways