News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Salon Du Phonographe

Started by malj1, January 25, 2013, 04:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

I guess they opened up in Milano and Turin first. Prices must have been the same, so the tokens could be used in both cities. Later, they expanded to the other cities, still at the same price, so one token for all (and all for one purpose).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Here now is the Hamburg ...er!

PATHÉPHON SALON DIE HANSE MÖNCKEBERGSTR.17 HAMBURG ℞. Pathe Platten Spielbar Ohne Nadel  Nickel 22.7mm.

I think it belonged to a smoker, soaking in dish-washing detergent improved it but now need to try something a little stronger.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Only Budapest to go! Will you update the Wiki lemma or shall I do it?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on January 06, 2014, 02:56:21 PM
Only Budapest to go! Will you update the Wiki lemma or shall I do it?

Peter

Perhaps I'll let you! Then too there is also the Amsterdam piece to find.

See too Reply #21 where there is a mention:  ....self-described "unpublished" work talked of a Copenhagen venture undertaken (about 1912-13) by Pathe....  I have yet to chase up this lead.
Malcolm

redwine

I have only listed those with the discus thrower and not the variants listed in 'Jetons d'Audition' ACJM.
He also appears under WURILTZER (41).
No reference numbers for any pieces outside France and its colonies. This section only consists of a couple of pages (pp153-154.)

Salon Du Phonographe:
GRENOBLE (1.1.1), PARIS (49.1)

Salon Du Pathe-concert or PATHEPHONE CONCERT:
PARIS (47.1.1), TROUVILLE (1), WIEN (p153)

Salon Du Pathephone:
BERLIN (p153), BRUXELLES (p153), PARIS (48)

Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

Can't offer you the token, but here's a sketch with the listing in Catalogus van Nederlandse Betaal- en Reclamepenningen (Catalogue of Dutch advertising medals and tokens for payment) by A.J. Kooij. The catalogue quote of €10 seems reasonable, the trick is to find it.

I checked the address on Google maps. It is now taken by the Italian restaurant "La Traviata". The tower in the background to the left is Mint Tower. Minting took place in an adjacent building, though.

Peter

malj1

Quote from: redwine on July 05, 2014, 02:46:44 PM
I have only listed those with the discus thrower and not the variants listed in 'Jetons d'Audition' ACJM.

I am still looking for the earliest piece, see the Pathe cock in Reply #24

I have the Grenoble. ...perhaps too there is another Paris piece from 28 BD Des Italiens. ?

Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on July 05, 2014, 03:04:15 PM
Can't offer you the token, but here's a sketch with the listing in Catalogus van Nederlandse Betaal- en Reclamepenningen (Catalogue of Dutch advertising medals and tokens for payment) by A.J. Kooij. The catalogue quote of €10 seems reasonable, the trick is to find it.

Peter

That will be a help as the trick is to know what to Google as the Pathephone name comes in many variations depending on the country. Google is rather pedantic about this spelling.
Malcolm

redwine

Quote from: malj1 on July 05, 2014, 03:05:25 PM
I have the Grenoble. ...perhaps too there a another Paris piece from 28 BD Des Italiens. ?

Sorry, no. :o
It's 26!  ;D

redwine

Quote from: villa66 on January 28, 2013, 05:26:55 AM
What must be a somewhat earlier Pathe token than the discus-thrower; about 22mm in diameter and weighing 5.61 grams:

:) v.

Paris 49.3
There's a variant - address  / swaps places with Salon du Phonographe 49.2

malj1

I do recall seeing something different, that may be it; see the Flickr below.

Another collector's Phonograph tokens may be seen here on Flickr

My own web-page is shown here.
Malcolm

redwine

Here's another nice page in French, well site actually, all about phonographs.

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on July 05, 2014, 03:04:15 PM

Peter

I found: [re Amsterdam]
...The Pathe agency moved around 1908-1909 from Leidsestraat 11 to Reguliersbreestraat 43. The film department was not split from the gramophone department yet.
This happened probably when the agency next to the Theatre Pathe was opened: the gramophone department remained at Reguliersbreestraat 43. In February 1911 there the Salon du Pathephone was opened, where on could listen to records. The company at the Reguliersbreestraat was closed down in 1932.

Source

Malcolm

redwine

PATHEPHONE - REIMS
Consimilar - oops on closer examination there seems to be a CH. in the diamond (been here before) and on the other side it isn't a diamond.
Coin aligned
4.5g

malj1

Salon Du Phonographe 30, BD Des Italiens Paris once more...

...but this time it is brass 22.7mm

Malcolm