BON POUR UNE AUDITION

Started by redwine, December 08, 2013, 03:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwine

Three more
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

ZYV

As I understand it's a "bon pour une audition".
Please, tell how it was used?
My publications on numismatics and history of Golden Horde  https://independent.academia.edu/ZayonchkovskyYuru

ZYV

And when the jeton was made?
It looks like quite old.
My publications on numismatics and history of Golden Horde  https://independent.academia.edu/ZayonchkovskyYuru

Figleaf

Even during, but especially after the first world war, say 1916-1923, there were "shops" where you could listen to music or dance in Paris. They ranged from luxurious to popular to slightly (by today's standards) racy. Tokens were issued good for entry, for listening or for dancing. Those good for a dance are usually inscribed "bal". Those for listening may be inscribed bon pour un chanson or bon pour une audition. This one may have been for entry.

The address is close to what used to be the "Place de l'Etoile", which most probably explains the name. It is now occupied by a small Thai restaurant, so you can imagine that it wasn't a big affair.

For the triangle on your token see this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ZYV

Dear Peter, thank You for the information!

But what do You mean by "for listening"?
May be "bon pour une audition" was used in some musical machine?

malj1

Quote from: ZYV on May 07, 2014, 09:16:00 PM
But what do You mean by "for listening"?
May be "bon pour une audition" was used in some musical machine?

"Bon pour une audition" or good for one tune - often a token that can inserted into a machine that then playing one piece if music, the ancestor of the jukebox.

Until 1929 they were commonly the cylinder record machines.

See BON POUR UNE AUDITION I have a small collection of these here

See also Salon Du Phonographe which explains a little more.

The reason why the music libraries or salons with coin-slot concept could be established was of course that it was still impossible or at least not common, that ordinary, working people could buy gramophones and records.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

"Audition" is a bit broader than "chanson". A listening period may be the closest translation. A "bal" could sell listening and dancing for a different price, in which case a bal could issue tokens for an audition.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I see what you mean here, but, see this topic Good for one tune for a similar but Canadian version of these tokens. I am unaware of any other description being used.
Malcolm

redwine

This might be a BPA or a dance token? Kermesse appears on a few BPAs. Royal Chanson Paris was at 39 Bd De Strasbourg.
I'm assuming war time?
.KERMESSE STRASBOURG./ 39BD DE STRASBOURG / PARIS
Zinc
Uniface
4.16g
24.09mm

malj1

KERMESSE STRASBOURG is listed in Jeton D' Audition: # 29.1 with a brass piece at 29.2

I have others for KERMESSE WAGRAM. There are three other 'KERMESSE' addresses listed too.  8)
Malcolm

redwine

Thanks Mal.  ;D
I always check your BPA page first  ;)

malj1

I think that is  # 35.4.2 difficult to tell from an image - I have three different varieties, put side by side is much easier! ...size of font and stars is the clue to these.
Malcolm

malj1

I hadn't really noticed that but since you pointed it out I looked at others I have and find they all have been dealt with in a similar manner:

This one in particular I though exceptionally nice.
Malcolm