Palestine 5 mils

Started by Bimat, May 11, 2009, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Here is my one of most favorite coin : Palestine 5 Mils,1927.I have similar coin dated 1939 too.

The thing which I find most interesting about this coin is that the inscriptions on the coin appear in 3 languages-Arabic,Hebrew and English(The date).Considering the importance of the place for Muslim,Jewish and Christian people,it is quite obvious.I have seen very few coins with such a fantastic combination of languages.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Austrokiwi

I find Palestinian coins from that period fascinating..............also notes.  Depending on your perspective they show the development of a new state or the destruction of a state (albeit it in waiting).   If I recall correctly reviewing the changes in Palestinian/Israeli notes  over that period and into the 1950's you can see the change from three languages to one

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  All of the Palestinian banknotes are extremely scarce or rare.

The Palestinian coin series is a very hard one to try & complete,especially from 1942 to 1946.The 1947 coins are impossible to obtain,as nearly all of them were melted down just before the State of Israel became an independent republic outside the British Commonwealth.

Aidan.

Bimat

This coin is definitely not in great shape but I was happy to add a Palestinian coin to my collection almost after 4 years! Not an easy coin to find in India at-least!

Palestine 5 Mils (1935), Copper Nickel, 2.90g, 20mm. Mintage: 2,700,000.

Obverse: Wreath around center hole, with enscription PALESTINE in English, Hebrew and Arabic

Reverse: Value above center hole

Comments welcome! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

@josephjk

Nice coin! I have a 1 mil and a 5 mil and like you found them difficult to find, finally got them at my coin club

Bimat

Thanks! :) I have 1 (various dates), 2 (various dates), 5 (various dates), 10 and 20 mils in my collection, got mostly with the help of fellow forum member. :) I find the history (and geographical significance) of Palestine fascinating! From what I have read, Palestinian coins are not hard to find in UK, NZ or even is US...

I intend to collect them by date...ohh well. ;)

I have a 1 mil and a 5 mil and like you found them difficult to find, finally got them at my coin club

Photos please! (If possible)

Aditya

@josephjk

Looks like we have the same date for the 5 mils   :)

capnbirdseye

A quick look in my Bluebird toffee tin has yielded at least two of these 2 Mills coins, also a fifty mills is in there, must check the date on that one
Vic

Bimat

Great coin (especially the 5 mils), Joseph! I'm envious, such a top grade coin! :)

Thanks Vic for the pic, could you please post a scan of 50 mils? I haven't got it yet. :-\

Ad

FosseWay

Here are the 10, 20, 50 and 100 mils in the same series:

FosseWay

In addition, the Cu-Ni coins were struck in bronze for a few years in the mid-1940s:

capnbirdseye

Here is the 50 Mills, not one of the scacer dates though  :'(   also found a 20 mills
Vic

Bimat

What a great collection of Palestine coins! I wish I had the 50 and 100 mils coins...

Aditya

FosseWay

Quote from: Bimat on March 30, 2014, 05:04:10 PM
What a great collection of Palestine coins! I wish I had the 50 and 100 mils coins...

Aditya
According to my list, I have a spare 50 mils. My list may be wrong, but presuming it isn't, you're welcome to swap it.  :) Unfortunately I have no spare 100 mils.

Bimat

Quote from: FosseWay on March 30, 2014, 05:35:31 PM
According to my list, I have a spare 50 mils. My list may be wrong, but presuming it isn't, you're welcome to swap it.  :) Unfortunately I have no spare 100 mils.

I don't know how I missed your reply for so long, but I'll get back to you soon.  Thanks for the offer. :)

Aditya