Modern coinages without a European alphabet country name

Started by <k>, April 01, 2014, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

From around the 1400s to the mid-20th century, the growth and predominance of European overseas empires meant that certain languages were used and understood way beyond their native environment. And the modern cultural and economic power of the USA ensures that the English language is used and understood around the world.

As a result, many (ethnically and culturally) non-European countries now include their name in the Latin alphabet on their coins. I am interested in seeing which countries do not - hence this topic.

Of course, not all European countries use the Latin alphabet: the Greeks have their own, and many Slavic countries use the Cyrillic alphabet, as can be seen in this topic: Countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet. I am therefore interested in those modern countries who do not use any European alphabet on their coins.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Saudi 50 halala 2010-1431.JPG

Saudi Arabia, 50 halala, AH 1431. 

Though this coin lacks any script that the average European would understand, it does helpfully include the denomination in Europeanised "Arabic" numerals. This lack of deference to European sensibilities probably reflects the Saudis' confidence in being an economic power (due to their oil wealth), a regional power, and a cultural power - many pilgrims flock to Mecca every year.

<k>

Oman, 100 baiza, 1984.

The modern Omani coinage follows a similar pattern. However, the numerals are entirely Arabic, but the the Christian calendar year is helpfully included for infidels.  :D

Commemorative coins are an exception, probably because they are marketed to have wide appeal to international collectors, therefore they do include the Latin alphabet. In this topic I am concerned only with circulation coinage, however.

<k>

Yemen, 10 rials, 1993.

Yet another Arab country that shuns European forms is Yemen.

Interestingly, the 20 rials of 2006 does give the denomination and issuing authority in the Latin alphabet.

I assume this is a circulation coin - or is it a commemorative?

<k>

Syria, 25 pounds coin, 1996.

An updated version of the coin, incorporating a latent image, was issued in 2003.

Previously the coinage did not cater for European forms. Why the change, I wonder?

<k>

Iraq 205 dinars 2004.jpg

Iraq, 25 dinars, 2004.

Modern Iraqi coins do not cater for Europeans either.

<k>

To my knowledge, the other Arab states of West Asia DO include the country name in the Latin alphabet. Next I will check the North African countries.

<k>

Over to Algeria now: ¼ dinar, 1992.  Fennec fox.

So, we have the year in the Christian calendar, but that is the only sop to Europeans.

Algeria 5 dinars 1992.jpg

Algeria, 5 dinars, 1992.  The denomination numeral appears in a Europeanised form.

<k>

Egypt 10 piastres 2008.jpg

Egypt, 10 piastres, 2008.

The coin shows the Christian year in Arab numerals.

No other concessions to Europe.

As a country and civilisation that go back to ancient times, this is hardly surprising.

<k>

Libya is an interesting case. The coins of 2014, to be released soon, include the legend Central Bank of Libya.

Libya ¼ dinar 2009.jpg

Previously, in Gadaffi's time, this was not the case. See the ¼ dinar of 2009 here.

<k>

Morocco, 2011.  Dates and denominations to suit the Europeans, but not a country name.

<k>

<k>

Ethiopia 10c 1977.jpgEthiopia 10c-1977.jpg

Ethiopia, 10 cents. 

Only the denomination numeral is readily readable by Europeans.

Pabitra

Quite a few countries do not have Latin alphabets. Prominent among them are Japan, Thailand, Laos, Mogolia, Nepal ( Kingdom era), Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq etc.

<k>

Yes, I think the main groupings are some Arab and Muslim states, and some of the South East Asian states.

I've checked the whole of modern Africa now and will move on to the rest of Asia. The Americas, Australasia and the Pacific Islands are all covered by the Latin alphabet without exception.