News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Your greatest british india coin

Started by The Oracle, October 02, 2012, 09:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: repindia on October 19, 2012, 07:12:27 PM
@The Oracle thanks for starting the great thread, but we have not seen your choice. Please do share what you think is your greatest/favorite.

I second that!

By the way, @repindia - I hear that you have a fabulous collection of rare Indian coins, care to share some of them with this group?
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Coinsforever

Quote from: aan09 on October 03, 2012, 06:13:36 PM
I have one 1/2 pice - 1905 coin of Edward VII with ghost image and I think  that  coin can be put into such category (captioned subject).

Here is mine 1/2 pice of 1905  with ghost error.

This coin is for error lover not for grade lover  ;)

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Figleaf

Quote from: aan09 on August 31, 2013, 05:56:40 AM
This coin is for error lover

Well put, aan09. Coins can serve a number of different purposes for the collector; the story it tells is always motivating. You can show this coin to visitors, see them become amazed at the ghost of Edward, then explain the thing. Edgar Allen Poe became famous with such stories ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coinsforever

Quote from: Figleaf on August 31, 2013, 10:49:27 AM
Well put, aan09. Coins can serve a number of different purposes for the collector; the story it tells is always motivating. You can show this coin to visitors, see them become amazed at the ghost of Edward, then explain the thing. Edgar Allen Poe became famous with such stories ;)

Peter

Well Peter this coin was bought approximately 30 years ago without knowledge of  ghost error during that period of ignorance  :P

Cheers ;D

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

brokencompass

My favorite coin is the Regulating dub from Madras presidency!

In 1807, new copper coins were introduced for circulation in the districts dependent upon the presidency. Their inception was the result of recommendations made by the committee appointed to report upon the subject of the "Copper Currency in the Northern Division".

The investigating committee was appointed in September 1806 and the report is dated 12th march 1807. It notes that the rupee was almost the only silver coin to be met in circulation. Half and Quarter rupees could be procured but were rarely seen. The scarcity of the copper coin was in large due to the total stoppage of copper imports formerly made by the Dutch; a large portion of which had been converted into dubs at the Dutch, French and E.I.C mints. In their proposals, the committee recommended the coinage of copper and that a sufficient reserve of that metal should be available at all times to meet the demand.

In April 1807, the Madras mint master submitted proposals for copper coinages and the minting commenced in that month. A proclamation published in August 1807 notified the public of the denominations, weight and values of the a new dub coinage.

Included in the proclamation is an unusual coin, denominated a **** Dramatic Music **** "Regulating Dub". This coin was introduced in order to adjust payments made in copper dubs at the presidency where they reckoned in terms of star pagoda and fanam instead of the rupee.

When measured against the fanam the Regulating Dub was necessary to acquit a payment expressed in fanams but paid in copper dubs.

The exchange was

One Rupee  = 48 Single Dubs/ 24 Double Dubs

One Pagoda = 168 Single Dubs/ 84 Double Dubs

One Pagoda = 229 1/11 Regulating Dubs

One Pagoda = 42 Fanams

Three single dubs and a regulating dub = 1 Fanam

Aren't you happy there is Decimal coinage these days... lol

On the coin is written

Tamil         - Idhuvum Munu Pudu Dabbum Oru Chinna Panam
Telugu       - Idhinni moodu kathha dabuulunnu voka cinna rooka

Translation in English for both texts = This(coin) and three new dubs are one small fanam

To just think that this whole coin was created just for the purpose of easy exchange between the old and new coinage is mind boggling to me. That's why it is one of my most favorite coins!
My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

Harry

Quote from: brokencompass on October 19, 2013, 05:02:14 AM
My favorite coin is the Regulating dub from Madras presidency!

To just think that this whole coin was created just for the purpose of easy exchange between the old and new coinage is mind boggling to me. That's why it is one of my most favorite coins!

Yes @brokencompass, quite interesting indeed! Thanks for the info I did not know the details.  Loved the "dramatic music"  I had the drum roll and the whole band playing in my head!
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

repindia

Quote from: Harry on October 19, 2013, 04:06:34 PM
Yes @brokencompass, quite interesting indeed! Thanks for the info I did not know the details.  Loved the "dramatic music"  I had the drum roll and the whole band playing in my head!

Interesting choice and great coin. I am still undecided as to which is my single most greatest coin, but one of them has to be a Rupee from Madras which is overstrck on a 4 Reales coin. This coin clearly shows the undertype, has adjustment marks made at the mint and in overall great condition. No pictures now and maybe someday later. This is only one of the coins which would be the last to go if ever. :-) I will think of more nominations and then come up with a winner. :-)

brokencompass

Quote from: repindia on October 26, 2013, 08:30:02 PM
Interesting choice and great coin. I am still undecided as to which is my single most greatest coin, but one of them has to be a Rupee from Madras which is overstrck on a 4 Reales coin. This coin clearly shows the undertype, has adjustment marks made at the mint and in overall great condition. No pictures now and maybe someday later. This is only one of the coins which would be the last to go if ever. :-) I will think of more nominations and then come up with a winner. :-)

You mean a Madras Presidency Half Pagoda?
My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

repindia

Quote from: brokencompass on October 28, 2013, 03:05:10 AM
You mean a Madras Presidency Half Pagoda?
The half pagoda like this would be good and interesting but not great. :) The half pagoda is struck on 8 Reales and not 4. I meant the Rupee only.

brokencompass

Wow! That sure sounds like a great find. Do share a pic when you get a chance :)

gollada

Interesting coin and thank you for sharing the history behind it.