News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Nezak Huns of Kabul; Drachm of Napki Malka, ca 630-700AD, and other Huns

Started by THCoins, May 05, 2013, 05:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quant.Geek

I don't have stellar coins like you guys, but here are mine coins.  I do love the earthen color on the first coin eventhough the reverse isn't that great.  It was one of the reasons why I bought it.  BTW, check out this website that has loads of information on these types of coins http://pro.geo.univie.ac.at/projects/khm/?language=en

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

THCoins

What you say, the color and definition of especially the first coin is lovely ! I believe the weak reverse is more or less typical of the type. The few with perfect reverse are really the odd ones out. The doulble strike on your reverses make them extra interesting. Thanks for adding the link !

Quant.Geek

Some recent acquisitions:

Hephthalite: Khingila (440-490) AR Drachm (Göbl-67)

Obv: Straight-back bust, rising above the garden, flames emerging from both shoulders, single ribbon behind, rising; Brahmi legend above
Rev: Remnants of Fire altar and attendants design

Hephthalite: Mehama (461-493) AR Drachm (Göbl-74, MACW-1441)

Obv: Tall Hephthalite bust with long earrings; Brahmi legend at 1:00; Tamgha in front of face
Rev: Remnants of Fire altar and attendants design

Quant.Geek

Hephthalites: Vasu Deva (early 7th Century) AR Tri-lingual Drachm (Göbl Hunnen Em.244, MACW-1560)

Obverse: Bust of Vasu Deva right in Persian style. Bull head above crown ; tamgha countermark, gold plug countermark. Brahmi legend in field. Cursive Bactrian Greek Legend around.
Reverse: Zoroastrian fire altar and attendants. Pahlavi legend in fields, Cursive Bactrian Greek Legend around.

Figleaf

Breathtaking stuff. Do I see a gold plug in the last coin? Is it contemporary or a repair job? The bimetallic collectors will love it... >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Quant.Geek

Quote from: Figleaf on September 23, 2013, 12:42:33 AM
Breathtaking stuff. Do I see a gold plug in the last coin? Is it contemporary or a repair job? The bimetallic collectors will love it... >:D

Peter

Contemporary plug of Gold.  Based on the information I have, there really isn't any reason why this was done...

Quant.Geek

Hephthalites: Napki Malka Drachm, Kabul Valley & Zabul (Göbl-198.12)

THCoins

Missed the attribution on the ones you placed before Vasu Deva. Looks like Khingila ?

On your last coin this is definitely the best Bull (or is is a horned horse ?) headdress i have seen on these !

Quant.Geek

Quote from: THCoins on September 23, 2013, 09:44:27 AM
Missed the attribution on the ones you placed before Vasu Deva. Looks like Khingila ?

On your last coin this is definitely the best Bull (or is is a horned horse ?) headdress i have seen on these !

Thanks Anthony!  I fixed the attributions on both of the coins and you are correct that it is Khingila . The coins on the following link is also amazing too:

http://pro.geo.univie.ac.at/projects/khm/?language=en

THCoins

When i strated at the beginning of that page i thought Hmm.. they're a bit to fine and smooth to my liking.
But when you scroll down, there are a lot of very nice coins with character !

mitresh

Here is my specimen (silver drachm) to add to this central hunnic thread.......

I just love the portrait within a complete dotted border circle showing the King wearing fine pearl string necklace, ear-ring, curled hair and the remarkable winged crown topped by the buffalo-head. The eyes and mushtache are very clear and the nose is exquisite. Whereas most coins show a wheel with spokes above the attendants head on the reverse, this one has a sun rosette (circle of dots), does this make the 'rosette' type scarce?

If this is a realistic portrait of a Hun King, and I have no doubt it is, then he must have been a remarkable man indeed, a product of the medieval time of constant upheavals, conquests, pillage, mayhem etc, as save for the crown and bull head, the features portray a remarkably noble and intelligent face with sharp features and not that of an uncivilized savage and a barbarian.

While the Huns deserve all the flak, and deservedly so, for their wanton destructive trail left across much of the globe, can there be a possibility that later historians pillorize their negative traits while overlooking, so to say, the other side of the coin, that points to, however nominal, a certain grace, dignity and noble characteristics of the race constituting Hunnic people and their civilization? Do we really know all that is known?

Looking at this coin, I do not get the feeling that its a blind cut-and-paste imitation of prevailing local issues. The Reverse is no doubt inspired by the Sassanian fire-altar and hence retained for continuity, familiarity and acceptance by the general populace but the Obverse has design elements original and different from the Sassanian bust, especially the buffalo head. So, whats the significance of the bull or buffalo head to the Huns? The buffalo on the coin is most certainly the common 'black' buffalo and not a 'Zebu' going by the ribbed horns clearly visible on the coin. Does the buffalo head signify the Huns nomadic and pastoral life including dependence on the cattle herd for their sustenance or is it a victor's trophy strung and super-imposed above the winged crown-head representing the people and territories under Sassanian influence they just subdued?  Why is the 'barbaric, savage, uncivilized, blood thirsty nomadic Hun' King wearing jewellery and other fine ornaments on the coin and not supposedly dressed like a warrior huntsmen? What is the message being sent out to the people who will use these coins? It most certainly does not look repelling rather it shows certain cultural sensibility in continuing a known pattern with minor design tweaks. I may be very wrong here but I'm sharing what I feel, and not being prejudiced by prior and/or biased written material, for others to share their view too.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

THCoins

Isn't it nice how a small piece of metal can lead to such a stream of thoughts.
The Hun's have a bad name. And perhaps we should not have a central "Hun" thread. Because it is clear that "The Huns" did not exist. There were many groups which intermingled in time and space.
Many people define the fire altar reverse as Sasanian. I don't know. I think the basis fire altar design is older already. The depiction on your coin indeed is a bit out of the ordinary. What struck me at first sight was that it looked as if the king even had a beard ?

Ancientnoob

Ah I found your Hunnic - Pile - On thread!!!

I have quite a few huns, some a represented very well here. I have one specimen I did not see here, thus I throw my hat into the ring.

Bust of Kidara facing slightly right, wearing crown with streamers, KIDARA KU-SANASA in Brahmi above / Fire altar flanked by attendants, SULAKHA in Brahmi below. 29mm, 4.11 grams. Kabul mint (?). Gobl, Hunnen Em. 11; MACW Struck c. AD 360.

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

THCoins

Yes, everyone from the extended Hinnic family is welcome here. This is a very nice addition ! very much like the distinctive portrait style.

Ancientnoob

Alchon, Turk,Nezak Confederation
Afghanistan, Kapisa-Kabul mint
AR Drachm 28 mm x 2.92 grams (AD 680-700)
Obverse:Unknown tribal leader (Shahi Tigin?)left wearing radiant crown, Tamgha left field. Cursive Bactrian Greek - CPIO FAUIO.
Revers: Zoroastrian fire altar with two attendants. Unknown mark on reverse. (letter)
ref# Gobl Hunnic: 236

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius