News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Readers Digest advertising tokens

Started by Prosit, May 01, 2011, 11:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Yes that could well be the one from Readers Digest. Sadly many of this type of pendant have the suspension loop removed to make these more coin-like to sell to collectors.

Another Maria Theresia type is shown below. This is a tiny 12mm version.

Section 796 which is mentioned there refers to pendant style souvenirs but does not include these RD types, the book was published in 1990; many of these 'things' have surfaced since that time.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Quote from: malj1 on August 28, 2013, 12:40:13 AM
Just a couple of days ago I posted  this; see lower down in the image for the MTT coin imitation. I doubt any RD involvement here.

I speculate that this is in fact a Decorative sequin as described by Rogers in Toy Coins.

Ah yes, *that's* what I remember reading. Not RD at all. Evidently too much sun.

Thank you for clearing that up!

bagerap

This one has no suspension loop but seems to bear the RD look
35mm.

bagerap

And these seem to be of the same genre. The largest is 41mm.

malj1

If they are in fact from Readers Digest it does bother me that they don't take the opportunity to display their name or logo as they do on most of their other RD tokens. I notice two of those shown have the N's reversed.

I did find a Chinese web site advertising 'Wholesale Replica Coin from China' after looking at ten pages of replicas without finding Portuguese coins I gave up although many other coins are there very cheap.
Malcolm

bagerap

As pretty as these look in the scan, they are in fact very cheap & nasty; although with some weight. If not RD, then I suspect a similar type of origin. Gas station perhaps?

Figleaf

No ad, so no petrol station. In fact, the designs are quite good. They even caught the retrogade Ns one sees so often on Portuguese coins of this period. Souvenirs of a visit to a museum would be my guess.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have found some information confirming issue of a similar item by Readers Digest.

This extract is from the 'Tasmanian Numismatist' April 1996.

1752 AUSTRIAN DUCAT

FUNNY MONEY.

'Some time ago a correspondent to the 'Australian Coin Review' (now incorporated into the 'Australasian Coin & Banknote Magazine') mentioned having found, what appeared to be, an unlisted Austrian Ducat dated 1752 bearing the legend 'FRANC. D.G. R.I.S. A. GER. IER. REX.' with the portrait of Francis of Lorraine on the obverse and the legend 'TU DOMINE SPES MEA' on the reverse. It was very similar but 'not quite right' in comparison to others of that time period.

The 'coin' was in fact manufactured and distributed on behalf of the 'READERS DIGEST' organisation some 12 years ago as a promotional gimmick, and samples regularly turn up on market stalls in both 'gold' and 'silver' finishes.

These 'coins' usually have a dark chemical reaction spot in the centre where they had been attached with an adhesive glue to a 'Reader's Digest' give-away sheet.' - April 1996.
Source.

I also found one as described above for sale on US eBay, including the dark chemical reaction spot on the kings cheek; this too was stated to be from Readers Digest.

Image attached.

Malcolm

redwine

I have no recollection of the MTT or PPP (Pseudo Portuguese Piece) being RDs. 
There again I thought a button was a coin ........ :-[
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

I wonder! another that seems to bear that RD look! although, if so, why don't they say?  ???

555 fr. rev. Y632; Brass, 25mm X 1mm thick. 4g.

Malcolm

FosseWay

Finally got round to scanning and posting the imitation MTT I mentioned on the previous page. As it's fairly clear it's not a RD piece, I've posted it elsewhere - see http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,22934.15.html

redwine

Back to hardcore RD or is it?
Aluminium
Consimilar
Medal aligned
1.84g
28mm ish

I give you 30 thousand francs in cash, oh yes 8)
Please don't tell me the French understand the word Cash!!

redwine

I've just received another 52 'ducats' - none of which are undated :'(

I'm on a roll - I've emailed them  ;D

malj1

You should get several replies, .....weekly until the end of your life.  ;D
Malcolm

redwine

Quote from: malj1 on September 10, 2013, 12:09:38 AM
You should get several replies, .....weekly until the end of your life.  ;D

LOL !  ;D