News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Readers Digest advertising tokens

Started by Prosit, May 01, 2011, 11:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

We have discussed these before, can't find the thread at the moment, but I think someone remembered one as being attached to a RD letter. I have a couple similar but no stalk. From memory in Stainless steel. + glue!

Lucky 7 also thought to be RD; needs confirmation here.  ::)

Both same both sides.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Prosit

I think the one on the right is shown here.
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,9716.0.html

Dale

Quote from: redwine on August 06, 2013, 12:35:48 PM
I'm pretty sure these are RD too.  No proof as yet............ Well, one of them has some nice glue on the back  8)

redwine

Sadly not
See glue below  8)

malj1

So yours is the Dutch good luck token ... While my piece is the RD one, here. along with the Lucky 7

I removed the glue from my piece quite easily, it is a rubbery type that rolls off using your finger; although if it is from a machine at the Stedelijk Museum, why has it got glue on it?
Malcolm

Prosit

I don't know but I remember when I was very young, gluing coins to poster boards so I could hang them up in my room. I have examined some souvinir Boards with glued coins from Vetrans. Many ways to get glue on them I bet.
Dale

Quote from: malj1 on August 06, 2013, 11:25:05 PM
I removed the glue from my piece quite easily, it is a rubbery type that rolls off using your finger; although if it is from a machine at the Stedelijk Museum, why has it got glue on it?

andyg

Quote from: malj1 on August 06, 2013, 11:25:05 PM

Upthread is a silver clover leaf lucky token - which I am not sure where it came from,  Mal's and Redwines brass clover leaf token I'm reasonably sure were given out (in the UK at least) by the readers digest.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

FosseWay

Have just acquired a replica MTT (not a "genuine" full-size silver replica such as have been struck on and off since 1780 but a smaller brass jobbie - 32,7 mm and a suspiciously precise 10,00 g). Apart from size, weight and composition it is a reasonable imitation. It has the same general feel as the Tu Domine Spes Mea tokens which we now have definitively traced to the Readers' Digest.

Did the RD ever make MTTs? ISTR having read somewhere that they did, but can't now find where.

Figleaf

Had a similar one a long time ago. Brass, too small, not the 1780 type but a younger head. It had an eye (one part with the medal), so I decided it was meant to be silvered and used as fake jewellery. It had some black spots on it and decided it was silver oxide. ;)

Does yours have (traces of) an eye?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

Figleaf

Gave it away a long time ago. Biological memory only, but the long term kind that keeps working.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

I was talking to Fosse.
And please don't take that the wrong way ;)

FosseWay

I'm sorting through a batch of tokens I just received and haven't scanned them all yet. Will post when I have. :-)

malj1

Just a couple of days ago I posted  this; see lower down in the image for the MTT coin imitation. I doubt any RD involvement here.

I speculate that this is in fact a Decorative sequin as described by Rogers in Toy Coins.

I quote...
Section 797 Decorative Sequins and bead accessories.
There are many thin brass copies of coins of Turkish style. Most of these are less than 0.3 mm thick and about 10 to 20 mm in diameter. These often copy the Venetian gold coin the zecchino, which was extensively copied and the name has been corrupted in English to sequin. It was the custom, in many parts of the near and middle east, for brides to wear their dowry as gold coins and these brass sequins were cheap replacements. There are almost as many without a suspension hole provided as those which have. As a result there are many that have been crudely pieced to enable them to be sewn on to the clothes. No detailed study has been made of the range of types, though some are closer to coinage types of the area than others. There are also a few tokens that can be confused with the better types.

Malcolm

bagerap

I believe this to be the RD version as whenever there's a dubious job lot on ebay, one of these will always be sticking out of the pile. Suspension loop accidentally hidden. There must be thousands of these out there.