Designs showing multiple figures around the inner/outer circle

Started by <k>, August 05, 2013, 02:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

My belief is that these designs developed from designs showing wreaths on coins.

See also:

1] Designs showing multiple subjects on a grid

2] Multiple shields / coats of arms

3] Wreaths and Sprays on Coins

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Muscat and Oman, 1 Saidi rial, 1958.

<k>

Sierra Leone $10 2005.jpg

Sierra Leone, 10 dollars, 2005.

Seychelles 25R 2013.jpg

Seychelles, 25 rupees, 2013.

Two Popes, and Christ's Stations of the Cross.

You can always depend on some coin issuers to dramatise the trivial and trivialise the tragic.  ::)

<k>

Australia 2005 50 cents, looking forward to the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games.

Kangaroo, platypus, emu, brolga (Australian crane), frog.

Australia 2005stor.jpg

Here you see the charming original sketch sent in by Kelly Just.

She was a 16-year-old schoolgirl at the time.

<k>

Australia, 50 cents, 1982.jpg

Australia, 50 cents, 1982.  Commonwealth Games, Brisbane.

<k>

Australia 50c 2003.jpg

Australia, 50 cents, 2003.  Australian Volunteers.

SquareEarth

I once drew a coin with Han-dynasty relief carvings of chariots(like shown below, but circular) going around the outer circle, and denomination in the inner circle.
It's been almost 10 years, I don't think I can still find it.
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

<k>

I like those old reliefs, the Greek and the Egyptians ones too. Of course, because most coins are circular, they wouldn't necessarily work well.

SquareEarth

Qing Empire, One Tael, Empress Dowager Cixi's Birthday, date disputed (1894? 1904?)
(possibly Emperor Guangxu's Birthday),
google keyword: 广东双龙寿字/guangdongshuanglongshouzi/Cantonese Double Dragon with Character for "Longevity"

As you can see, the coin has two dragons in the outer ring, and a Chinese stylized character for "Longevity" in the middle.

For some reason, Cixi's birthdays always coincided with humiliations for the Qing and disasters for the Chinese nation. 
Her 50th birthday was spent during the Sino-French war, her 60th birthday the First Sino-Japanese War, her 70th birthday was the Russo-Japanese War fought on Chinese soil.
It's illogical to say that her birthday events caused the wars, but these coincidences best showed that the good health of an inept ruler would turn out to be bad for the country.

Chuan.

<k>

Quote from: SquareEarth on August 05, 2013, 05:23:03 PM
Qing Empire, One Tael, Empress Dowager Cixi's Birthday, date disputed (1894? 1904?)

Stylistically, I think this has developed from the old "wreaths and sprays" feature, so it is a kind of halfway-house between that and the modern "multiple figures" feature.

SquareEarth

China
2000 yuan
12 years of zodiac coins
The past coins featured on this coin are, clockwise: mouse, cattle, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, chicken, dog, swine.

Inner Circle featured the Taiji and Eight Trigrams, which resonated back to this Qing coin.

Qing, One Tael, age disputed, Google key: Zhong Wai Tong Bao (中外通寶, Circulated Treasure in China and Abroad)

SquareEarth

Quote from: <k> on August 05, 2013, 05:38:01 PMI like those old reliefs, the Greek and the Egyptians ones too. Of course, because most coins are circular, they wouldn't necessarily work well.
Han relief worked fine in the outer ring of the coin, except that it made a five cent piece ridiculously large.
Someone have to design a Greek or Egyptian coin with multiple Greek or Egyptian figures around the inner/outer circle, it will look good.

Quote from: <k> on August 05, 2013, 05:38:01 PMStylistically, I think this has developed from the old "wreaths and sprays" feature, so it is a kind of halfway-house between that and the modern "multiple figures" feature.
Blame the European coin designers for not being adventurous enough :D
You see, Qing mandarins and Manchu royalty know little about coin design, so anything a European designer came out, even something radical (or a bit naughty like the Muscat and Omen coin above), might have a higher chance to be accepted in China than in Europe.
But the designs turned out to be conservative and somewhat flattering.

SquareEarth

SquareEarth

1993 5pounds 40th anniversary of coronation

Can the Queen sleep with so many trumpets surrounding her? ;D

Chuan

SquareEarth

Falklands
1999/2000
2 Pounds