Mauryan, Kaushambi region, cast ½ Kakani (c. 300-200 BC) elephant

Started by capnbirdseye, March 07, 2013, 05:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

This coin has a sprue which indicates it's a cast coin , Obv Elephant & rev Ujjain symbol?

2.38g
Vic

Abhay

Kaushambi region, Mauryan Copper ½ Kakani (c. 300-200 BC), 3.02g, an Elephant looking left, three arched hill on rev., a pair of coins joined together during the casting process (Mitch ATEC 4571). Very Fine, Extremely Rare.

From Todywalla Website.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

capnbirdseye

Thank you Abhay, I never did get this coin identified for all the years I owned it
Vic

mitresh

In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

birder

Thanks for guiding me to this page. I also have a similar coin.

mitresh

Wonderful specimen. Very clear elephant and chaitya (stupa) symbol.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

ChrisHagen

Hello,
I also want to share my coin.
I is not a very nice elephant, but the three-arched hill is very strong and well-centered.

The seller did not clean the coin very well. I hope the orange areas will re-tone to a pleasing brown, but I doubt it.

Figleaf

Try keeping it in olive oil (no additives) for a month or so.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ChrisHagen

Quote from: Figleaf on July 02, 2013, 02:00:57 AM
Try keeping it in olive oil (no additives) for a month or so.

Peter
Was this directed at me? I definitely will! Should end up quite nice, I hope. There's a lot of dirt on it.

Figleaf

It was. As a bonus, the olive oil should solve or soften the dirt. Attack dirt with a wooden toothpick after the oil bath.

Olive oil is slightly acid. Producing regions in the East of the Mediterranean (Greece!) are the least acid, those in the West (Spain) the most acid. An Italian brand name on the label says nothing about where the oil was produced. Bertolli uses Spanish oil. Anyway, the acidity is low enough not to be harmful to copper (but beware of additives.) I wouldn't recommend a month in oil for a silver coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

cmerc

Here's a picture of my coin of this type (MACW 4366-4370).  Nowhere as great as the specimens discussed earlier in this thread.  ~1.9 grams. 
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Quant.Geek

I think I will join this bandwagon as well, can't let you guys have all the fun  ;D

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

ChrisHagen

It seems that the defining feature of a "great" specimen of one of these coins is a well-struck elephant done by an experienced engraver. Most coins seem to have a nice three-arched hill, but few coins have an easily identifiable elephant.