Maratha Confederacy paisa or half paisa?

Started by Rangnath, March 11, 2008, 04:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

This coin weighs 8.3 grams. 
The problem is as follows:
In the numismaster web site for the standard catalog, km 284 sseems quite similar to this one.  It's weight was given as 7 to 8.5 grams.
I have a few coins that I've cataloged as km 266; one paisa coins with a distinct double line on one side. This coin is refered to as the Shivarai Paisa, circa 1750 and minted in the name of Chhatrapati Shivaji.  There seem to lots of varieties and variability in what is actually on the flan.  Parts of his name are visible on those coins in nagari script.  The weight of most of my coins are in the  range of 8.5 to 10 grams.  The weight for the Km 266 given in the standard catalog is 14 to 15 grams.  Is that in error?
In the Fitzwilliam Museum collection, coins that seem to match the one paisa Shivarai type are listed with weights similar to mine, not the standard catalog.  Who is correct?
But my primary question is:
Is the new coin, the subject of this post, a half or a full paisa? Is it km 284, km 264, km 266 or even km 267? The second coin shown below is from the Fitzwilliam collection; a typical Shivarai paisa with a listed weight of around 9 grams.
richie

Overlord

To me, this looks like an interesting piece with the obverse legend in retrograde (mirror image) and blundered. Maheshwari/Wiggins has a few such examples (with words in retrograde), but I could't find a type same as yours.

Here is the image you had posted, turned 180 degrees.

And now, the above image vertically flipped:

The first (top) word now looks like a variant of "Raja" (shown below):

And the second (bottom) one looks now looks like (a variant of "Shiv"), but with before

Rangnath

AMAZING Overlord! 
Turning the alphabet 180 degrees and flipping it would be one way to develop a secret language; at lease it would be secret from me. 
But what letter to you see to the Left of "Sh" in "Shiv"?
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on January 17, 2009, 05:02:41 PM
But what letter to you see to the Left of "Sh" in "Shiv"?
richie
It looks like ("Ba") to me.

Bimat

Hi Richie,
It resembles the "Shivrai" of Maratha dynasty.The words lettered on Shivrai are "Shri Raja Shiv Chatrapati".The wordings on this coin are looking similar to this.
Aditya.
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Overlord

Quote from: numismatica on January 17, 2009, 05:37:02 PM
It resembles the "Shivrai" of Maratha dynasty.The words lettered on Shivrai are "Shri Raja Shiv Chatrapati".The wordings on this coin are looking similar to this.
Aditya.
You are right Aditya. It is a "Shivarai" or "Chhatrapati" coin. These were struck over a long period and, as Richie observed, have several variations in terms of the words (and the spellings of the same), weight, size, and ornamentation. Most of these have Shivaji's name on the obverse, but some (which are much rarer) bear the names Sahu, Ram Raja, Raja Ram, and Sambhu. Only one type (Maheshwari/Wigguns T1) is thought to be struck during the reign of Shivaji.

Ref.: Maratha Mints and Coinage by K.K. Maheshwari and Kenneth W. Wiggins

Bimat

Quote from: Overlord on January 18, 2009, 05:28:47 AM
You are right Aditya. It is a "Shivarai" or "Chhatrapati" coin. These were struck over a long period and, as Richie observed, have several variations in terms of the words (and the spellings of the same), weight, size, and ornamentation. Most of these have Shivaji's name on the obverse, but some (which are much rarer) bear the names Sahu, Ram Raja, Raja Ram, and Sambhu. Only one type (Maheshwari/Wigguns T1) is thought to be struck during the reign of Shivaji.

Ref.: Maratha Mints and Coinage by K.K. Maheshwari and Kenneth W. Wiggins
I have one Shivrai in my collection (which was given to me by my brother).I have also seen many Shivrai coins,and they differ not only in shape and size,but also the style of letterings.I have a few collector friends here who collect only Maratha Confederacy coins,because of their large variety.
Aditya.
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Rangnath

I would love to see them along with their weight and size. It is a subject about which I have a great deal of curiosity.   
If your collector friends ever need an invitation to post their coins for the eager attention of an enthusiastic audiance, let me know.  Or you could invite them Aditya! 
richie

asm

Richie,
I have a few such coins in my collection. I will try and post them in the next week. I also have the replica of the gold hon or hona coins which were issued a few years back. They are sealed in plastic. I will post them if I can photograph them properly.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Rangnath

Wonderful Amit! I look forward to it.
richie

Bimat

Hi Richie,
I have told some of my collector friends to join world of coin.Hopefully,they will join soon.And I am also getting good knowledge about world coins as well as ancient Indian coins through this forum.Thanks to all!!
Aditya

Rangnath