News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Delhi Sultanate, Khiljis: ‘Ala’ al-Din Muhammad (695–715AH,1296-1316AD), 2 gani

Started by Figleaf, November 30, 2007, 10:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

I like clear coins. They're easy to read, right? Wrong. The more I stare at this one, the less I see. I noted "shah Mohammed" on the carton, but even that, I don't see any more.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Good going Peter!
If it weighs 3.5 or so grams, about 15 mm in diameter, it is a 2 Gani of Ala Ud-din Muhammad Shah II,
1296 to 1316.   Mitchiner WO1 2569

Oesho

Tumbs-up for Rangnath, but the revers ineed to turned as it is depicted up-side down.

Rangnath

Thank you Oesho.
Thumbs up is good.
Where I lived in India, it was the waggled thumbs down which was not to be desired!

Figleaf

Thank you, gentlemen (also for rectifying the picture. It is a measure of my confusion that after a good long stare, I still put it upside down.) I found a biography of ths bloodthirsty ruler under the name of Ala-ud-din-Khilji, sultan of Delhi. I presume Muhammad could be thrown in for good order whenever the occasion arose. The dates you mention are Christian, not Islamic, so this fun piece will move to the middle ages. Who'd have thunk it... :o

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Billon 2 Gani (R990, Goron D233, Tye 419); year illegible

Obverse Al-sultan Al-Azim 'Ala Al-Dunya Wa Al-Deen (The Sultan, the greatest one, excellence of the world and of the faith)

Reverse Center: Muhammad Shah (Arabic); Margin (Sri Saltan Alawadi) (Nagari)

Figleaf

Rangnath