Akbar Copper Dam, Mint: Gwalior, Ilahi month Aban, Yr.39. Ref.: KM#32.14

Started by Abhay, January 04, 2010, 08:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Kindly help me attribute this copper Dam of Akbar. Weight is about 20.10 grams.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Oesho

Mint: Gwalior, Ilahi month Aban, Yr.39. Ref.: KM#32.14

Rangnath

asm

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Abhay

If this is a Gwalior Coin, than was it minted at Gwalior Fort Mint? Because in 1600, there was no other mint at Gwalior. Or for that matter, were all the Suri Coins and the Mughal coins of Gwalior were infact minted at Gwalior Fort?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Oesho

It's only after Lashkar was founded (1811) that we distinguish between Gwalior Fort and Lashkar as the two mint localities within Gwalior.
Before 1811 there was only one locality, Gwalior. The mint at certain periods was definately located within the fort at Gwalior, as some of the coins struck there, bear the mintname Qila Gwalior.
It need not always been located within the fort, but it often happened that the mint was located in the town itself. The treasure, however, was for obvious reasons always located within the fortified area.

abhinumis

Gwalior is supposed to be a rare mint for Akbar dams... This is without mint epithet mukam Gwalior
Dr.Abhishek

Abhay

Yes, Akbar Gwalior coins are very rare.

Here is image of Gwalior Fort Akbar Coin. I found this on Ebay. I could not purchase it. :'( :'( :'(

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Oesho

This is a realy nice example. Someway or the other I also missed it. Something curious happened with the listing as I remember. I was removed from the listing, before the auction ended.

abhinumis

Zeno has a fine example of Mukam Gwalior coin, which I guess belongs to Dr.Srirang Purohit
http://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=7905
I won my piece today on ebay. Kindly comment(had to pay through my nose, but considering the scarcity of the mint......I paid). Will post better image when I recieve the coin in hand
Here is the link http://www.ebay.in/itm/310661694163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Dr.Abhishek

Abhay

Quote from: Oesho on May 07, 2013, 06:38:50 PM
This is a realy nice example. Someway or the other I also missed it. Something curious happened with the listing as I remember. I was removed from the listing, before the auction ended.

Same here. The listing was ended abruptly by the seller.

Quote from: abhinumis on May 07, 2013, 07:13:53 PM
Zeno has a fine example of Mukam Gwalior coin, which I guess belongs to Dr.Srirang Purohit
http://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=7905
I won my piece today on ebay. Kindly comment(had to pay through my nose, but considering the scarcity of the mint......I paid). Will post better image when I recieve the coin in hand
Here is the link http://www.ebay.in/itm/310661694163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Congratulations, Doctor. I was also watching this coin, just to know the price it sells for. If I remember, I purchased my coin coin for about Rs. 3000.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

akona20

I was also watching this piece with great interest. Alas I cannot bid and obtain such coins.

abhinumis

Thank u Abhayji and Arthur sir.. considering you got your coin in 2010 @ 3000/- makes me relieved regarding the pricing of the coin.. The demand for Akbar copper coins has substantially increased in recent years and even very common coins do not sell cheap like they used to!
Dr.Abhishek

Oesho

It's a realy nice example and sill missing in my collection as well.

QuoteZeno has a fine example of Mukam Gwalior coin, which I guess belongs to Dr.Srirang Purohit
The ZENO image is not of Shrirang Purohit, but of a different Mumbai dealer. It may surface someday in an auction, if it hasn't been sold privately.

abhinumis

Thank you Jan sir, and when the coin does come up on auction, wish I have just enough in my pocket for it!
Dr.Abhishek