Palestine fantasy set

Started by Bimat, June 26, 2010, 05:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Here are some more beauties :D This time from Palestine >:( >:(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Ukrainii Pyat

Neat coins from "Palestine".  Back when they did that treaty back in 1994 there were serious proposals being floated to introduce a currency and some designs were done but I have never seen anything.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Bimat

The producer of these so called coins should at-least take of denomination.'Mils' would have been logical,but why dinar?

Only 10,000 such sets were made.And they are being sold for more than US$ 30 :o Isn't it ridiculous?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

FosseWay

This is for sale on eBay at the moment. I'm intrigued by it, though not enough to break my rule of never buying on eBay from China.

I presume these are fantasy pieces, along the same lines as the British/Danish/Swedish etc. 'euros'? But then again, the question arises: what do the Palestinians use for money? Israeli coins and notes? US dollars? Or is this a genuine new currency launch for Palestine?

Bimat

Yes,fantasy issue only,having no numismatic value IMO.Those who also collect pseudo coins may disagree with me ::)

Aditya

andyg

Yes, these can be added to the likes of Cabo Dakhlia, Redonda Island, Cabinda, Galapagos Islands, Northern Cyprus, Greenland et al.
Oddly enough they seem to be produced in North America.

Here is a nice link :  http://www.joelscoins.com/new2.htm
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

chrisild

Quote from: FosseWay on October 03, 2010, 07:04:49 PM
But then again, the question arises: what do the Palestinians use for money? Israeli coins and notes?

Basically yes. The shekel (Israel) is the official currency, but "neighboring money", e.g. the dinar (Jordan) in the West Bank, is often accepted too. What they will not accept is this fantasy money. ;)

Christian

Harald

I just happened to see a movie that plays in the Palestine territories and among Arab speaking Israelis. it appears that their only unit of account is the "dinar" (probably Jordan), while the real money is the sheqel. the people were sort of changing money in their minds.

cheers
--
Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

khungerald

Your postings about the proposed Zambian Cheetah design makes me wonder whether you know the heptagonal Palestine 50 qirsh proto-coin with a leopard on it ?
Gerald Moore

Figleaf

This is a fantasy piece, possibly made in China, not a real coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on May 02, 2013, 02:49:30 PM
This is a fantasy piece, possibly made in China, not a real coin.

Believe me or not, but there's an entire series of 'modern' Palestine coins. They are not made in China but made in US, by Joseph Lang, who's a partner of Stephen Album Rare Coins. >:(

eBay Link for reference. He's selling that ugly set for $34.99, and the coins are denominated in Dinar. At-least he should have got the currency right. ;D You can see his initials (JL) on all those coins as well.

Aditya

dheer

Humm that's very interesting ... a US based seller with high rep indulging ... well it confirms believes these people do not belong to any country ... they are in to make a quick buck and we should stop labelling a particular country rather label the persons / dealers
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Bimat

Quote from: dheer on May 02, 2013, 07:06:04 PM
Humm that's very interesting ... a US based seller with high rep indulging ... well it confirms believes these people do not belong to any country ... they are in to make a quick buck and we should stop labelling a particular country rather label the persons / dealers

Joseph Lang is the same person who produced the 'famous' Andaman and Nicobar Island 'coins'. ::) A well known auction house like Stephen Album Rare Coins shouldn't be indulged in selling of such fantasy, cheap stuff but it's business, so who cares? >:(

Aditya