an quarter with 2 heads. 1954 and 1960

Started by Michiel, February 14, 2013, 07:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michiel

I've found the bad cast forgery of an quarter. but it has 2 heads. 1 with '54 and 1 with '60

I can ask only 1 question. Why?

Figleaf

To be used on a key chain, which explains the hole and the excessive wear.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Michiel

Chinasmith

My understanding is that it was not possible at that time for the US mint to make a two headed coin, because the obverse and reverse dies were of different shape (that is, the part which fit into the machinery).
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.

Prosit

The impossibility of a two headed quarter as you explain it makes sense. Any other type error that resulted in two heads would likely be a real mess.

The example shown appears to me to be cast and even I can do that. Although it isn't worth the effort to do so.

However it is a nice looking keychain fob.

Who says it has to be a coin to be collectible or interesting?  :)

Dale

Quote from: Chinasmith on April 27, 2013, 04:16:15 AM
My understanding is that it was not possible at that time for the US mint to make a two headed coin, because the obverse and reverse dies were of different shape (that is, the part which fit into the machinery).

bruce61813

I would think it was sold through a magic shop for close-up magic/ slight of hand. Since it is cast, it is probably over sized or under sized, and well off-weight from a normal quarter. The original would probably have passed a real quarter.

Bruce

capnbirdseye

It can also have been used to 'toss the coin' & guarantee you win if you call heads!
I had such a similar coin way back in the 60's and it was made from genuine George VI pennies that had been shaved to half thickness & brazed together, whoever did it didn't look closely enough because one side was different as it was without IND IMP  :D
Vic