News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Vatican: Pope Benedict XVI to resign

Started by chrisild, February 11, 2013, 12:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Earlier today there were rumors that Pope Benedict XVI will resign at the end of February. Now the Vatican has officially confirmed that. Does not happen all that often ;) but for collectors that means a Sede Vacante issue, and a new set of regular euro coins ...

Christian

paisepagal

Pope Benedict is to Resign

Pope Benedict in shock resignation

The Pope is to resign at the end of this month in an entirely unexpected development, the Vatican has confirmed.

The 85-year-old became Pope Benedict XVI in April 2005 following the death of John Paul II.

The reasons behind the head of the Catholic Church's surprise resignation have yet to emerge.

Resignations from the papacy are not unknown, but this is the first in the modern era, which has been marked by pontiffs dying while in office.

At 78, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was one of the oldest new popes in history when elected.

He took the helm as one of the fiercest storms the Catholic Church has faced in decades - the scandal of child sex abuse by priests - was breaking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

paisepagal

Whoops, i didn't see your post I put mine in....merged the topics

chrisild

Has happened to me too - I write something, post it ... only to discover that, while I was writing my message, somebody else did the same thing. ;)  As for Benedict XVI, well, I won't make any comments on the Roman Catholic Church here, but I do have a lot of respect for his decision. With regard to coins, the "Sede Vacante" eight-coin set that was issued in 2005, after the death of John Paul II, would not be possible any more. But I am sure there will be a SV commemorative or collector coin.

Christian

paisepagal

Yes I agree, its better to step down and let someone take up the torch than deny that you will soon be physically incapable of carrying out your duties. Kudos to him and it bodes well for the Roman Catholic Church imo

Jostein

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Bimat

Vatican is likely to issue a Sede Vacante €2 commemorative coin later this year. According to new rules, they can't issue a Sede Vacante set (1c-€2) like they did in 2005, but they can issue an additional €2 commemorative...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

ciscoins

Quote from: chrisild on February 11, 2013, 12:11:38 PM
and a new set of regular euro coins ...

So there will be two sets of regular coins in 2013 (with both popes), or only one?
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

paisepagal

Quote from: chrisild on February 11, 2013, 12:11:38 PM
Earlier today there were rumors that Pope Benedict XVI will resign at the end of February. Now the Vatican has officially confirmed that. Does not happen all that often ;) but for collectors that means a Sede Vacante issue, and a new set of regular euro coins ...

Christian

What a snob ! Didn't even bother to translate that for my spoon feeding expectations   ;)
Sede vacante = vacant/vacated/empty seat

Bimat

Quote from: ciscoins on February 12, 2013, 02:19:46 PM
So there will be two sets of regular coins in 2013 (with both popes), or only one?

Only one (fortunately), with new Pope's portrait.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

Quote from: paisepagal on February 12, 2013, 02:39:24 PM
What a snob ! Didn't even bother to translate that for my spoon feeding expectations   ;)
Sede vacante = vacant/vacated/empty seat

See, you found the right translation anyway. ;D  In German it would be Sedisvakanz by the way. However, the Vatican is the only country AFAIK that issues such coins, and they always use that Latin (and Italian) phrase. So the devout Vatican collectors usually know that term ...

Christian

paisepagal

Quote from: chrisild on February 12, 2013, 03:31:43 PM
See, you found the right translation anyway. ;D  In German it would be Sedisvakanz by the way. However, the Vatican is the only country AFAIK that issues such coins, and they always use that Latin (and Italian) phrase. So the devout Vatican collectors usually know that term ...

Christian

Alas I'm neither devout in Vatican coin collecting or otherwise  ;) besides, deep pockets are in order to venture into this area anyways. Maybe if I attended the newly introduced old Latin style mass, I probably would have been ardently posting in the old tongue lol
This is the first time in 600 years that a pope is voluntarily resigning. The last time was filled with intrigue and velvet coated daggers... This time, the reasons are more mundane.
In terms of coins, I probably will try to get a sample set of pope John Paul, the transition period and of Benedict !

Bimat

The only Vatican Euro of Benedict XVI that can circulate I have:

May be I got it at right time. ;D

Somehow I never tried to get the 50c coins which circulate quite nicely and are available easily...may be now I'll get an example.

Aditya