Main Menu

$15 pickup

Started by mrbrklyn, January 15, 2013, 06:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I though this was a fair pickup

nice double die :)

Figleaf

A double stuiver, commonly called dubbeltje. The workhorse of the 18th century middle class. Struck at the Dordrecht mint (rosette between dots). These coins are usually classified as Holland. Indeed, the arms are Holland and HOLLANDIA is the latinized name of the province, but the coin was accepted in all provinces of the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands and the coins of all other provinces circulate in Holland. That's because the technical specifications of the coins were set centrally. Since there were no federal coins (generaliteitsmunten) of low value, the coin looks provincial, but it is national.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbrklyn

does this one look cleaned?

Figleaf

No. It looks like it has spent time in a crummy coin cabinet, lying on the side with the arms.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbrklyn

Quote from: Figleaf on January 15, 2013, 02:50:00 PM
No. It looks like it has spent time in a crummy coin cabinet, lying on the side with the arms.

Peter

I don't know yet why, but when the photograph is not nearly as silvery as the actual coin.  In fact, it looks almost like a newly minted aluminum token.  What is its composition?
Is it silver?

Ruben

THCoins

It is low purity silver (0.583).
The automatic white balance of your camera probably does not like photographing shiny metal coins. Especially with artificial lighting. You can (in better quality cameras) prevent this by doing a manual white balance adjustment before taking the photo. (which is basically taking a picture from a white piece of paper, with the illumination used for you coins, and telling the camera that this should look white)

villa66

Interesting pair of images, and a useful example of why grading is still an important skill for a coin collector, digital cameras and the Internet notwithstanding.

;) v.

mrbrklyn

Maybe, but one of the things I like about world coins is I get sick of the grading.  I just like coins.  Grading is a necessary evil for high end coins "modern" coins and god knows how they judge ancients, but it seems strike is very important.

villa66

I agree. Grading is tough, and oftentimes just trouble. But it's a definite requirement when you're trading value-to-value out of a catalog, as many of us will. Then I also think that a lot of the folks I've met who pooh-pooh grading have simply forgotten what it took them to get to that point. After a while coin grading gets to be something that just happens when a collector looks at coin. Sizing them up is just something we do--from about ten different directions at once.

That said, grading as fetish has absolutely no appeal to me--but then that's a pretty dumb thing for me to say--collectors collect as they will, and who are we to say they're not doing it right?

Your coin looks like fun, but I don't feel confident answering your question about whether it's been cleaned from the photos. Sure didn't look like a silver alloy in that first image. But light does all kinds of things to the way we see a coin, doesn't it?.

;) v.

mrbrklyn

Quote from: villa66 on January 16, 2013, 06:06:31 AM
I agree. Grading is tough, and oftentimes just trouble. But it's a definite requirement when you're trading value-to-value out of a catalog, as many of us will. Then I also think that a lot of the folks I've met who pooh-pooh grading have simply forgotten what it took them to get to that point. After a while coin grading gets to be something that just happens when a collector looks at coin. Sizing them up is just something we do--from about ten different directions at once.

That said, grading as fetish has absolutely no appeal to me--but then that's a pretty dumb thing for me to say--collectors collect as they will, and who are we to say they're not doing it right?

Your coin looks like fun, but I don't feel confident answering your question about whether it's been cleaned from the photos. Sure didn't look like a silver alloy in that first image. But light does all kinds of things to the way we see a coin, doesn't it?.

;) v.

The main thing is that it has to be fun....not work.