Jodhpur Takka of Jaswant Singh:1886AD

Started by asm, December 20, 2008, 11:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

This also seems to be a Takka from Jodhpur. Please help attribute it correctly.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Overlord

This appears to be a Jodhpur Takka in the name of Queen Victoria. I think the first image would be the reverse (showing part of the legend wa Hindustan Muazam Inglistan zarb Jodhpur). I can't make out anything on the obverse.

asm

Overlord, thank you for the details. I am not clear by the words 'I think the first image would be the reverse '. Do you mean that the image is to be rotated or inverted? Please explain so that I could learn a bit more.
Amit

Overlord

I meant that the first image shows the reverse side of the coin and should be placed after the second one (which shows the obverse).

asm

Overlord, thank you for pointing out the blunder. I really appreciate your and other experts comments which give us a lot of knowledge. I have modified the image as suggested.
Amit

Oesho

The left image shows:
Zarb / Manus Maimanat / Jalus Sanah ..
The right image reads:
wa Hindustan / Mua'zamah Inglistaan / Zarb Jodhpur.
The left image is the obverse of an anonymous takka (Dhabushahi) issued during the pre 1858 period and the reverse is of Takka issued during the reign of Thakht Singh / Queen Victoria.
This die-combination doesn't exists and the copper coin is probably a counterfeit, produced with copies of dies of different issues.

asm

Oesho, Thank you for pointing out the blunder I had made while preparing the file to upload. I had two coins of Jodhpur - both Takka and I really messed up. The new image is uploaded here. I have also modified the other image I had uploaded that same day. I sincerely appologize for the mistake and promise to be more careful in future.
Amit

Overlord

I think the year is VS1943 (1886AD, falling within the reign of Jaswant Singh). The obverse legend being Ba Zaman Mubarak Sanat 1943 Queen Victoria Mallika

Oesho

Overlord's attribution is perfectly correct.

asm

Could this be classified as KM#72?

Oesho

The KM numbering for Jodhpur is worthless.

Rangnath

Jodhpur Km values worthless?
Oesho that is distressing news. 
Is that relatively truer of hammered coppers than of silver issues? 
I have attempted to collect several takkas from Jodhpur.  I love the size, weight and hand made feel of them.  I notice that the placement of the legend can vary significantly from coin to coin.  I would think that one would need several of one kind in order to get a good feel for the type. 
Is it the number of varieties, or the appearance of what actually gets on the flan, which renders KM worthless?
If you ever felt so inclined, I would love hear more and to see examples of what you mean.
richie

Oesho

Dear Richie, it are not the values, but the numbering system.
The series of Jodhpur state are among one of the most complicated series of all the Princely States. After study of this series for over 30 years, I finally completed the draft of the manuscript, which has been proof read by a couple of people. I am still working on the remarks, questions etc., but hope to complete it soon.
There will be many, still unpublished types, varieties and other rarities in it. One of the most complicated part are the silver coins in the name of Shah Alam II, which all bear the mint name Dar al-Mansur Jodhpur, but where struck at several mints.
Many attributions in KM are wrong and when my book will be published, the listing of this State in KM needs completely to be redone.

Rangnath

Thank you Oesho.  Yes, I meant the numbering system. 
And it doesn't surprise me to hear that there are numerous errors in the standard catalog. 
As for your manuscript, I am excited to hear of it and eagerly await its release. 
Is there any chance that you would notify us here when it is available?
  Richie

Oesho

Quote from: Rangnath on December 23, 2008, 07:10:35 PM
Is there any chance that you would notify us here when it is available?
Definitely.