Bimat

Designs of 2013 Presidential Dollars are now out. Issue schedule is as follows:

William McKinley, February 19, 2013
Theodore Roosevelt, April 2013
William Howard Taft, July 2013
Woodrow Wilson, October 2013

Image from CoinNews.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

kena

Wonder why decided on a side view of Teddy Rosevelt.

Ken

chrisild

Variety, I suppose. Dozens of frontal views would be boring, and profile views - while more "classical" - would be quite monotonous as well if they were the only option ...

Christian

Vivek

Does anyone know from where we get these coins in US? From Mint directly? or any counters?
Vivek

chrisild

These coins do not actually circulate, so you will have an extremely hard time picking them up. ;) You can buy them from the US Mint for example - in rolls (25 coins), bags (100) or boxes (250 or 500). However, there will be a (10% or so) surcharge.

Christian

Vivek

Thanks Christian for information...
So anyone who wants to buy should go to Mint and purchase the same..Do they have mint counter there? Any details?
Vivek

paisepagal

Quote from: Vivek on January 03, 2013, 12:28:55 PM
Thanks Christian for information...
So anyone who wants to buy should go to Mint and purchase the same..Do they have mint counter there? Any details?
Vivek

You can by a Proof set or  UNC set directly from the mint...usually they have a combo offer too with the beautiful quarters and the annual set which is pretty good.

IMO, makes sense to buy the proof set because there is barely any price differential

However, they don't ship to India anymore. So if you try to use a credit card with an Indian Billing address, the order will invariably get cancelled after a couple days (even if you put a US shipping address). Well, this has been my experience since 2010
It would be easy if you can direct a known acquantaince to buy the set for you within the US itself

You can easily plan because they've already laid out the schedule for 2013

Bimat

It's much easier and cheaper to buy from a good dealer than from mint. :) (This applies to EU as well)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Vivek

Quote from: paisepagal on January 03, 2013, 12:52:26 PM

However, they don't ship to India anymore. So if you try to use a credit card with an Indian Billing address, the order will invariably get cancelled after a couple days (even if you put a US shipping address). Well, this has been my experience since 2010
It would be easy if you can direct a known acquantaince to buy the set for you within the US itself

schedule for 2013
Thanks Ashwin for information...Even I had the same experience when I tried to book .
Thanks Aditya

One of my friend was visiting 3 weeks to US...He asked me if I need any coins from there...so I was just checking whether he get them easily.
Vivek

paisepagal

Time to think about swapping with someone in the us in that case... It any day beats "buying" from dealers or the mint as has been suggested quite a few times here and elsewhere... You're not shopping for fish or clothes after all ;D ... You probably have figured out from a few of my threads it's a truly enriching experience  :)
There are tons of people in the us who are just dying to get in touch and do long term exchanges with a reliable Indian collector like you. You just have to be a little patient

Bimat

Trading....Hmm..that's exactly how I get new American issues.. 8)

Many banks do not keep these Presidential dollars..I tried to get them that way with the help of a friend (he's studying in Boston)..he couldn't find them at banks. In fact, he was unaware of fact that these coins exist. ;D

Aditya

aarkay

Why worry about dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows....live in the present...a present for you today...

Prosit

I order the Mint set. Since I want the other coins too it makes sense for me. Buying P and D dollars from a dealer individually likely will cost at least half if not more what the Mint set costs and you don't get all the other coins. Still it isn't all that cheap, about $33 USD counting shipping in the States.
Dale

Vivek

Thanks Paise and Aarkay
@Paise yes I not checkt his option but need to start swaping ASAP.
Vivek

chrisild

Quote from: paisepagal on January 03, 2013, 12:52:26 PM

Exactly the same here. For a couple of years I could order from the US mint just fine - with a credit card and billing address in Germany, and a shipping address in the US. Then, in early 2009 or so, the mint stopped accepting such orders. But they would not simply tell you so during the ordering process ...

I even called the US Mint's customer service, only to hear that such orders were no longer acceptable. (That was in August 2009.) So I wrote a letter (y'know, print on paper, signature, envelope, mailbox and all), asked about the reasons for their change of policy, and mentioned that "it would be very helpful if you clearly stated that at your website, instead of allowing customers to place an order, select a billing address in Germany and a shipping address in the US - only to cancel their orders a few days later."

Some time later I even got mail from them! Printed on paper, sent in an envelope and all. ;) Unfortunately not a single part of that letter addressed the questions that I had. Oh well, that was it. These days I get my pieces ("directly" or via a fellow collector here) from the US.

Also, I limited my collection of US presidents to a few issues only, and focus on series that also offer a little more design diversity, so to say. The Native American dollars may be questionable in terms of the historical view they provide, but the designs are great. (Have a look at last year's issue for example.) The ATB Quarters I also find interesting ...

Christian