News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

silver coins

Started by sushil kumar agrawal, December 20, 2012, 10:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sushil kumar agrawal

sir
I want  to know  from my senior member  that can i  hold silver coins  or sell them , which is batter 
option. i did not  need of money  so in  future  coins give more money or not   please advice

thanks

akona20

PM exactly what you want to know.

sushil kumar agrawal

i  want to know can i sell my rare coin  at  current market price   OR   i hold them  for long time    & 
after 8 to 10  years   how much  money i will get
in  1st condition   if i sold & money  in bank  fix deposit   i will get  3 times  after 8  to 10 years         
in second  condition  if i hold coins  for 8to10  years & sold after 8to10  year then what amount i will
get it is more o r  less then bank  fix deposit.                                                                                                                 
                                                                                    sushil

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: sushil kumar agrawal on December 20, 2012, 12:43:36 PM
i  want to know can i sell my rare coin  at  current market price   OR   i hold them  for long time    & 
in  1st condition   if i sold & money  in bank  fix deposit   i will get  3 times  after 8  to 10 years         
in second  condition  if i hold coins  for 8to10  years & sold after 8to10  year then what amount i will
                                                                                    sushil

Interesting question. I guess you are considering coins as investment. At this assumption, I want to segregate the features in your coins:
1. Coin value
2. Historical value
3. Rarity
4. Metal value

If your coin is rare and has historical value then what value you are going to get is dependant on the demand for this factor in the future which is difficult to predict. If your coin has metal value as silver, I guess you should sell the coin and buy some silver bars which will help you to get more metal. If in the future metal value of silver rise (which is predicted by many), you will get gain from it.

I want tell you in a nut shell that it is difficult to answer your question.

Regards

Islam

Abhay

First of all, the yeild of 3 times in 8 to 10 years on a Bank Fixed Deposit, is too high.
The maximum Interest rate on offer at present for a 10 Year FD is around 9.5% PA.
So, your principal amount of Rs. 1000 will become only Rs. 2557 in 10 years i.e. it will increase by 2.557 times in 10 years.
Further, looking to the present scenario, the Interest rates are likely to fall by atleast 1/2 a percent in near future.

Now coming to Silver Coins. As has been said above, it all depends on the rarity of the coins that you have in your collection. It also depends on the future collecting interest of the collectors. For example, presently, there is a huge craze for the British India Coins. The coins, which I purchased for Rs. 250 in 2006 (William IIII Rupees), are being sold for Rs. 3000 today. So, my 250 has become 3000 in just 6 years. NOT BAD at all. :) :) :) :)

But look at the other side of the story. I have a lot of Coins from Gwalior Princely state, purchased again at about Rs. 300 about 7-8 years back. But, there are no takers for these coins even at Rs. 800 today. So, this is NOT GOOD at all. :'( :'( :'( :'(

So, it all depends on the types of coins you have, and the interest of the collectors after 10 years.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

sdchaugule

Quote from: sushil kumar agrawal on December 20, 2012, 12:43:36 PM
                                                                                    sushil
Answer is simple. If you are treating coins as investment, you book profits as you get opportunities. But if you are treating this as hobby, let your grand son decide.
Cheers.

Coinsforever

Agrawal  Ji has asked similar question  here refer reply 10.

he has given introduction also refer reply 2 extract
quote//
i have collected  coins through  no of sources ,. i have purches  some of coins get coins from my grand mother, some coins from my father.  i have started  coin collection  from only 8 month back  . before that  i am in my business . at i  am 62 yrs  old .
Unquote//

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Figleaf

A good investments:

• Returns the money you have invested
  • Compensates your loss by inflation
  • Compensates you for not consuming
If your coins are stolen, you lose in 1. Otherwise, cost of renting vault space from a bank or other security measures should be compensated in the sales price.
Inflation in Inda is now 6-7%. If India will develop well in the next 10 years, count with 5% for 2, otherwise, count 7.5% as annual average.
Premium for not consuming should be around 2-3%, I counted 2.5% for 3.

Taking everything together, a reasonable investment in rupee terms should yield 7.5 to 10%. In other words, if you buy something for Rs 100 today, you must want a price of Rs 210-260  in 10 years, plus tax and safety cost to break even. I think you cannot afford the coins that will do that. Also, in view of the recent price rise in metals, it seems pretty unlikely that metals can do it.

Coins are a bad investment financially, but if you learn from coins, they are an excellent investment in yourself.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

paisepagal

2 points to note...firstly, consumer related Inflation ie CPI in the last 6 months has hovered between 9.5% to 10.65%... Food inflation even higher touching often near 16%...secondly an average 1 yr fixed deposit will give you about 8.75%... co-op banks give you about .5% more.... So infact, your money is dwindling in terms of time value & purchasing power. To add to it, the RBI will reduce interest rates in it's bid to stimulate the economy...People would invest in the stock Market hoping to beat that 9% risk free interest. But The stock markets are in sea saw and you are unlikely to see any enthusiasm in the next 2 years until the elections in 2014 are over and the us and Europe start buying our products and services robustly again. At the moment, Indian stocks are considered among the most expensive on PE basis in emerging markets
So is buying coins as an investment an answer... Unless I have a ready buyer base of ignorant investors, I would be stupid to expect consistent  10-13% on a CAGR basis over the next 10 yrs.
You are better off buying gold jewellery like your forefathers and sell it once you see things shaping up for the better (always treat gold as hedge)
Consider this website for efficient gold investing ...www. Bullionindia.in

Coinsforever

Quote from: Figleaf on December 20, 2012, 03:29:19 PM

Coins are a bad investment financially,

May be many investors differs here .

IMO in today's scenario I would not invest money at all in  coins there are numerous  much better options that  will give assured returns.

Volatility in metals prices and inflated prices of coins lead to high risk in future . Even the real estate market trends shows decline in past 1-2 years in Asia , middle east is worst  in UAE one can find partially constructed apartments and malls at every pockets of emirates  waiting for funds to restart those abandoned projects.

"To let" billboards are every where  but no takers , rents declined drastically .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Figleaf

Ouch, 10% inflation is not good at all. Cash is below inflation, bonds are bad in inflation times and property is risky in this climate. Sure, the bubble must be empty at some time, but timing the market is impossible. Maybe some agri land t profit from price rises. Commodities are hardly available to retail investors and pretty volatile anyway. Gold jewelry has towering transaction fees. That sorta leaves equity, doesn't it? I'd pick funds on the basis of high exposure to foreign currency as an inflation hedge and round out by low volatility stocks, but I am pretty risk-averse.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

Better you invest in stocks in Bangladesh. Stocks that were 200 by December 2010 (then market was overheated), are selling at 30 now. No one is interested in stocks. So, buy it now. Get it in 10 times in five years.

Islam

zwiggy

If you know a lot about your coins - you are in a much better position to make this decision. If you inherited your coins - or you are just shopping them around to find the best price, it is best to sell them.

One thing I always feel is - Always understand what you invest in If you know very well how the coins grade, what the rarity is, history behind the coin, etc - you are better placed in choosing which coins have a better chance in making a profit. Not all your coins will increase/decrease in value at the same rate. It will also depend on which method you choose to sell. The same coin may sell at 5000 rupees one way and 9000 rupees in another way. It is not like the stock market.