KM 231 Chile 1994 peso without Thenot.

Started by Derick, December 18, 2012, 04:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derick

A variety of KM 231 Chile 1994 peso without engraver name RT Thenot. I have seen a few specimens without the name, but not an actual coin or photo with it. Not sure if all were made without. The absence of the name has only been reported for years 2009 and 2011 only.

Someone else have this coin to check?

Figleaf

There are some dots in your oval, making me wonder if we are not dealing with a dirty die.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

SpaBreda

I have checked my 1994, but it has a name ...
Checked the rest of my collection too. and found many with faint names.
The closest to one without a name, must be my peso 1987 :

Paul.

Derick

Hi, thank for reply. Paul, do you have a pic of the 1994. This coin was first minted in 1992. I got four coins from a collection I bought. Could be that the person collected them as filled die errors as you said Peter.

SpaBreda

Here's a pic. of my 1994 Peso.

Paul.

Derick

Thank you. Need some more specimens to make a call on variety or filled die.

Globetrotter

I have all the years from 1992 to 2008 in XF to UNC and Thenot is sometimes just some dots, sometimes easily readable, so you have all the possible combinations in between for each year. Of course they are variants, but only in the sense "the signature varies from not visible to fully visible" on all the years. It's not like a direct mispelling of "CHILE" into "CHIIE".

This might start a discussion about the definition of "variants" or "varieties", where you have at least:
Different dies (CHILE / CHIIE)
Errors (Thenot would be an error)
Die cracks (cracks or extra alloy on some coins)
etc
but you might already have had that discussion?
BR