Jodhpur, 1/4 Anna: in name of Edward VIII & Umaid Singh, 1936AD (KM 133)

Started by Overlord, December 07, 2008, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Hi

Any idea what this is. I'm not sure if I have the obverse and the reverse right  ???

Obverse

Reverse

Rangnath

Hi Overlord,
I know its from Jodhpur.  Check the 1/4 Annas of Umaid Singh in the 20th century catalog.  If you can not see the Persian "8" to the left of Daroga's mark then its Km 131. 
The problem I have is with the following:  on Km 132, the Persian "8" is very obvious.  On Km 133, I can not see it in the image provided in the catalog.  On Km 131, there is no "8". 
richie

Overlord

Thanks a ton Richie! I was looking for it among much, much older coins. As for the Persian 8, I think it is there on this coin (circled in the image below):

Overlord

And a little something on...

Edward VIII: The King who Abdicated for Love

Edward VIII (23 June, 1894–28, May 1972; Reign from 20 January 1936 to 11 December 1936)

For info see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII_of_the_United_Kingdom

Abdication speech
http://www.etoile.co.uk/Speech/EdwardAbdication.html

Oesho

Yes, you are both perfectly right, it is a pau Anna of Jodhpur in the name of Edward VIII/Umaid Singh. The pau Annan is dated 1936. There are three (major) varieties:
a) with the eight to the right of the daroga (mint-master) mark.
b) with the eight to the left of the daroga mark (the above coin)
c) without the the eight.

BC Numismatics

Amit,
  That is one very nice & historically interesting coin that you've got there.Very few Indian Princely States ever issued coin in King Edward VIII's name.Kutch was another state that issued coins with King Edward VIII's name.Can anyone think of any others?

Aidan.

Rangnath

Thanks Oesho. I was not sure that the symbol to the left of Daroga's mark was indeed an "8".
Here are the two other members of the Trio.
Km 131:  without Persian "8"
Km 132:  with Large Persian "8"

richie

Oesho

Quote from: BC Numismatics on December 07, 2008, 06:18:21 PM
Kutch was another state that issued coins with King Edward VIII's name.Can anyone think of any others?
Aidan.
Another State that issued coins in the name of Edward VIII, is Jaipur.