Mintmarks & privy marks on the Euro coins.

Started by BC Numismatics, June 19, 2007, 02:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

Has anyone studied the various mintmarks & privy marks on the Euro coins of quite a few of the Eurozone countries?

On some of the Luxembourgish Euro coins dated 2002,the Royal Dutch Mint's privy mark for the year 2000 is the only thing indicating that they were actually struck earlier than 2002.

Aidan.

a3v1

Quote from: BC Numismatics on June 19, 2007, 02:46:30 PM
Has anyone studied the various mintmarks & privy marks on the Euro coins of quite a few of the Eurozone countries?
@ Aldan,
I did! 8) If you are in need of any information on the subject, just ask me.
Quote from: BC Numismatics on June 19, 2007, 02:46:30 PM
On some of the Luxembourgish Euro coins dated 2002,the Royal Dutch Mint's privy mark for the year 2000 is the only thing indicating that they were actually struck earlier than 2002.
In fact all Luxembourgish Euro coins dated 2002 are showing the Dutch privy mark for 2000, even if only a small part of these coins actually have been struck in 2000 and most of the coins have been struck in 2001. Additional small numbers of coins have been struck in 2002, also with the 2000 Dutch privy mark.
Beforehand it was agreed that all Luxembourgish coins dated 2002 should have just one privy mark.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

BC Numismatics

A3v1,It seems very odd that there isn't any mention in Krause about what the mintmarks are on the Euro coins,& which mints they are.The Greek Euro coins have both the Greek Mint's mintmark & mintmarks of other mints on the same coin in some cases.

The Slovenian Euro coins have the Finnish Mint's mintmark.

I've been informed that the Maltese Euro coins will be struck at the French Mint's branch at Pessac.I'm not sure where the Cypriot Euro coins are going to be struck.

Aidan.

Figleaf

BCN, if you want to change something in KM, use their Numismaster web site. When you have at last drilled down to the individual coin, you can suggest changes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

a3v1

@ BC Numismatics,

Krause perhaps doesn't mention the variety of mintmarks and privy marks on the eurocoins because they think no one is interested.
Another catalog of European origin, WELTM?NZKATALOG 20.Jahrhundert, includes all the details. So does its smaller sister, EURO M?NZKATALOG. Both catalogs, alas for you, are in German.

Cypriot Euro coins will be struck at the Finnish Mint (Rahapaja Oy) in Vantaa.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

translateltd

Quote from: a3v1 on June 22, 2007, 09:26:23 PM
@ BC Numismatics,

Krause perhaps doesn't mention the variety of mintmarks and privy marks on the eurocoins because they think no one is interested.
Another catalog of European origin, WELTM?NZKATALOG 20.Jahrhundert, includes all the details. So does its smaller sister, EURO M?NZKATALOG. Both catalogs, alas for you, are in German.

Cypriot Euro coins will be struck at the Finnish Mint (Rahapaja Oy) in Vantaa.
Regards,
a3v1

As I understand it, Krause only publishes what it is given by its volunteer contributors - if no-one has submitted the information about the mintmarks and privy marks, it won't be used.  Then again, you sometimes have to submit information several times before anyone takes any notice!

Which edition of Sch?n's Weltm?nzkatalog do you use?  I suspect my 2003 edition is starting to get out of date!

a3v1

Quote from: translateltd on June 24, 2007, 12:39:53 PM
Which edition of Sch?n's Weltm?nzkatalog do you use?  I suspect my 2003 edition is starting to get out of date!
Like almost everybody else I am using Krause & Mishler for world coins.
For Euro coins, however, I am using Sch?n's EURO M?NZKATALOG. A free copy is sent to me every year as I am one of its contributors.

By now, your 2003 Weltm?nzkatalog has been out of date for quite some time. ;)
Regards,
a3v1
-------------

a3v1

As I understand it, Krause only publishes what it is given by its volunteer contributors - if no-one has submitted the information about the mintmarks and privy marks, it won't be used.  Then again, you sometimes have to submit information several times before anyone takes any notice!
As a result of my posting of the "Luxembourg 2007 oddity", not only on this forum but also in the WBCC Newsletter, Colin Bruce, senior editor of the Krause & Mishler World Coin Catalogs, has contacted me. It seems they want me as a contributor, so there's plenty of hope that forthcoming editions will have full details of mintmarks and privy marks on the Euro coins.
Regards,
a3v1

-------------

Figleaf

Congratulations, a3v1. Being a contributor is not just about technical data, though. Most of the work goes into collecting price information. It can be tedious, but it's a worthwhile job.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Quote from: a3v1 on July 31, 2007, 11:23:20 AM
As a result of my posting of the "Luxembourg 2007 oddity", not only on this forum but also in the WBCC Newsletter, Colin Bruce, senior editor of the Krause & Mishler World Coin Catalogs, has contacted me. It seems they want me as a contributor, so there's plenty of hope that forthcoming editions will have full details of mintmarks and privy marks on the Euro coins.
Regards,
a3v1

A3v1,I think that you should accept Colin R. Bruce II's offer.Having the mintmark & privy mark details in the Euro coin & medal-coin sections in Krause would be very handy,as in at least 1 or 2 years,more than 1 set of privy marks was used.

Aidan.

a3v1

Here's my list of all mintmarks and privy marks on the euro circulation coins.
Please let me know if I forgot any.
Regards,
a3v1

AUSTRIA
Mint Marks
(none) - Austrian Mint, Vienna
Privy Marks
(none)

BELGIUM
(on 2 ? commemoratives only)
Mint Marks
angel?s head - Belgian Mint, Brussels
Privy Marks
pair of scales - mint master, Romain Coenen

CYPRUS (from 2008)
Mint Marks
(none) - Finnish Mint, Vantaa
Privy Marks
(none)

FINLAND
Mint Marks
(1999-2006) (none) - Finnish Mint, Vantaa
(2007- ) triangle w/circles - Finnish Mint, Vantaa
(also 2007- ) FI ? country of origin
Privy Marks
(1999-2006) M ? mint master, Raimo Tapio Makkonen
(2007- ) (none)

FRANCE
Mint Marks
cornucopia ? French Mint, Paris/Pessac
Privy Marks
(1999-2000) bee ? chief engraver, Pierre Rodier
(2001-2002) horseshoe ? chief engraver, G?rard Buquoy
(2003) initials SL in heart-shape ? chief engraver, Serge Levet
(2004- ) French horn w/waves+fish ? chief engraver, Hubert Larivi?re
standard series' coins also show a designer's name

GERMANY
Mint Marks
A - Government Mint- Berlin
D - Bavarian Mint ? Munich
F - Baden-W?rttemberg Mints, Stuttgart
G - Baden-W?rttemberg Mints, Karlsruhe
J - Hamburg Mint, Hamburg
Privy Marks
(none)
(some 2 ? commemoratives show the initials of the designer)

GREECE
Mint Marks
anthemion ? Greek Mint, Halandri (Athens)
(additional mint marks, 2002 only):
E - minted at Spanish Mint, Madrid
F - minted at French Mint, Paris/Pessac
S - minted at Finnish Mint, Vantaa
Privy Marks
ΓΣ ? chief engraver, Georgios Stamatopoulos

IRELAND
Mint Marks
(none) ? Irish Mint, Sandyford (Dublin)
Privy Marks
(none)

ITALY
Mint Marks
R - Italian Mint, Rome
Privy Marks
virtually all coins show initials or name of designer and/or engraver

LUXEMBOURG
Mint Marks
(2002-2004) caduceus ? Dutch Mint, Utrecht
(2005-2006) triangle w/circles - Finnish Mint, Vantaa
(2007- ) cornucopia ? French Mint, Paris/Pessac
Privy Marks
(2002) bow and arrow w/star - 2000 vacancy; deputy mint master, Erik J. van Schouwenberg
(2003-2004) sails of a clipper ? mint master, Maarten T. Brouwer
(2005-2006) S ? pointing to the Finnish origin
(2007- ) French horn w/waves+fish ? chief engraver, Hubert Larivi?re
standard series' coins also show initials GC - designer, Yvette Gastauer Claire

MALTA (from 2008)
Mint Marks
F (in bottom star) ? French Mint, Paris/Pessac
Privy Marks
(not on all coins) NGB ? designer, Noel Galea Bason

MONACO
Mint Marks
cornucopia ? French Mint, Paris/Pessac
Privy Marks
(2001-2002) horseshoe ? chief engraver, G?rard Buquoy
(2003) initials SL in heart-shape ? chief engraver, Serge Levet
(2004- ) French horn w/waves+fish ? chief engraver, Hubert Larivi?re

NETHERLANDS
Mint Marks
caduceus - Dutch Mint, Utrecht
Privy Marks
(1999) bow and arrow ? mint master, Chris van Draanen
(2000) bow and arrow w/star - vacancy; deputy mint master, Erik J. van Schouwenberg
(2001) wine tendril w/grapes ? mint master, Robert Bruens
(2002) wine tendril w/grapes and star ? vacancy; deputy mint master, Maarten T. Brouwer
(2003- ) sails of a clipper ? mint master, Maarten T. Brouwer

PORTUGAL
Mint Marks
INCM ? Portuguese Mint, Lisbon
Privy Marks
VS ? designer, Vitor Manuel Fernandes dos Santos

SAN MARINO
Mint Marks
R - Italian Mint, Rome
Privy Marks

SLOVENIA
Mint Marks
Fi ? Finnish Mint, Vantaa
Privy Marks
(none)

SPAIN
Mint Marks
crowned M ? Spanish Mint, Madrid
Privy Marks
(none)

VATICAN CITY
Mint Marks
R - Italian Mint, Rome
Privy Marks
-------------

BC Numismatics

A3v1,that is a very good chart of the Euro coin mintmarks & privy marks that you have compiled.Let's hope that these are put into the 2009 Krause & updated as often as a new mintmaster comes into office.

Aidan.

a3v1

Quote from: BC Numismatics on August 13, 2007, 11:50:40 PM
Let's hope that these are put into the 2009 Krause
Aidan, please don't blame it on me if the Krause people don't. They've been supplied with lots and lots of information, much more than the above.
We'll have to wait and see how they've handled this pile of information.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------

Figleaf

Quite a bit of good work there a3v1. Hope you don't mind ig I make this a sticky thread.

Peter

a3v1

Quote from: Figleaf on August 14, 2007, 02:47:05 PMHope you don't mind if I make this a sticky thread.
Peter, that's completely up to you! If you' re thinking this thread is important enough for a top position, I don't mind.
By the way: Apart from the above I've sent the Krause people a list of nearly 100 errors and omissions I found in their catalog. And that's about the euro circulation coins only.
If the rest of the 21st Century catalog is of similar quality, the thing is a real mess....  :-\ :-\
Regards,
a3v1
-------------