Rupee of Akbar (AH963-1014/AD1556-1605), mint Ahmadabad, Ilahi yr 40 or 46, Mihr

Started by Overlord, November 30, 2008, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

This is my first attempt at "reading" an Ilahi coin. Please correct me if I have got anything wrong.

Obverse
Allahu Akbar Jalla Jalalahu (God is great, bright is his glory)

Here is a crude illustration depicting my take on the legend:

What do the words "Jalla" and "Jalalahu" mean individually?

Reverse
Zarb Ahmadabad (40 or 46), Ilahi Mihr (Libra)

shariqkhan

Rangnath

WOW Overlord!  Have you compiled all of your efforts?  If you haven't, I'll start doing so.  I think this stuff is really cool!
richie

Overlord

Thanks Shariq and Richie.

Could anyone please tell me what the words "Jalla" and "Jalalahu" mean individually?

Rangnath

Thanks to Richard Plant and "Arabic Coins and how to read them", Jalla means Glorified. Jalalahu means Glory to Him.
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on December 01, 2008, 05:06:58 PM
Thanks to Richard Plant and "Arabic Coins and how to read them", Jalla means Glorified. Jalalahu means Glory to Him.
richie
Thanks Richie. Then how does the phrase "Jalla Jalalahu" translate to "bright is his glory"?

Rangnath

I was afraid that you would ask that Overlord!
Maybe because "Bright is His Glory" sounds better in English than "Glorified is His Glory"?
HELP!
I think we need someone who knows Arabic to answer this.
richie

Overlord

Oesho

In the thirtieth year of his reign a change, which had been long foreshadowed, showed itself in Akbar and on his currency. He began to date his coins from the first year of his reign, and this new era was called the ilahi. or Divine Era. The inference was that Akbar's person was also divine, and a new creed was invented, which henceforth appeared on his coins. It was a short one Allahu Akbar Jalla Jalala Which would translate as: God is most great, eminent is His glory. but the same words slightly rearranged can mean Akbar is God, let His brightness shine forth.

Figleaf

Stunning. This latter-day Tut Ankh Amon tried to hijack islam, one of whose basic tenets is that there is one god only. I'd realized Akbar wanted religious independence from the Khalifat, but this is jaw-dropping.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

If I had been one of Akbar's advisors, I don't know if I would have had the courage to tell him that he might be making a mistake. How does one correct One who's brightness is shinning forth?
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on December 01, 2008, 10:55:40 PM
If I had been one of Akbar's advisors, I don't know if I would have had the courage to tell him that he might be making a mistake. How does one correct One who's brightness is shinning forth?
richie
I'm sure Birbal would have found a way to make him realize that, if he wanted to.

Rangnath

Perhaps that's why Akbar didn't promote himself to the stature of divinity until after Birbal's death!
richie