Weight: 10.04 Grams
Size: 25.7 mm
Description: Looks something like a Shiv Linga on Obverse
                    A Double Trishul on Reverse

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Coin No. 19:

This one looks from the Malwa Indore Region. Some of such coins have been listed as Uncertain Mint Coins under Indore Princely State.

Metal: Copper
Weight: 18.75 Grams
Size: 23.5 mm
Year: AH 1203
Description: A Bhilva Leaf and a spear on Obverse
                    A Trishul on Reverse

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Coin No. 20:

A Beautiful Coin.

Metal: Copper
Weight: 10.23 Grams
Size: 19.92 mm
Description: A Sunflower on the Obverse
                    A Double Trishul on the Reverse

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Some more Kachcha Paisa collected over the period since last post.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

asm

I am not sure if I should be posting this here.......but researching the copper coinage of Gujarat area and its surroundings, I have now a different take on the KP's.

First the defination of the KP's. -
A coin or currency which was acceptable in the market but at the rate of exchange to the rupee that was determined by the local shroffs. This means that the number of paisa that could fetch a rupee or may be other paisa was determined by the local bania (trader) / Shroff or Money lender. This would be determined based on a number of factors - including acceptability. This was as opposed to what was the official copper coins minted at the state mint which had a fixed rate of exchange. The KP's were minted by local money lenders / village heads / large traders / often trading houses in the major cities.

Next - the use:
1) Copper currency was generally used to pay the lower end workers / labourers. Small / petty transactions and daily necessities were transacted using this. Farm labour too was paid using copper as was the op!um and cotton. Silver was only used for large value transactions.
2) Minting Silver was the prerogative of the state. There was no or very little control on minting copper. It appears that any one could get a license to mint copper paying a nominal fee.
3) Cost of transporting copper over long distances from mints was prohibitive. Comparatively, it was cheaper to transport Silver.
4) Most of the population in these areas was illiterate and for accepting a coin, relied only on symbols.
5) Since these were struck at very low margins, the possibility of the labour cutting corners while minting can not be ruled out which would have resulted in poor strike / double or multiple strike.
6) Wear rate of the copper coins was faster than silver for two reasons - higher turnover and softer mental. (some corrections)

Now if we look at what is mentioned in the foregoing, KP's circulated in the market just like official copper currencies but since it would have been costly to transport copper in large quantities over long distances, they would have been minted in the area where they were used. They wold be used in a small area surrounding the 'mint' place. (some may have traveled long distances when it may not have been economical for the carrier to change them). To make the coins acceptable for use in a little larger area, the 'minter' may have used symbols acceptable in the surrounding areas. Since the value was generally determined by the weight of copper and the symbols, it actually would not have caused much hardship to the consumer - who, in any case had little choice since the 'official' coinage would not be available in the interior areas. Unfortunately no records of this minting have been maintained and hence are not available.

Conclusions:
Though a lot of people view the KP's as dirty money and not collectible, I have come to believe that these are very small issues - which changed with passage of time - some times, some trade houses had a different design for every crop. (Some of the unscrupulous traders who may have minted these coins may have agreed to pay higher value (compared to the shroff) if the coins were exchanged for goods from them. These are actually found from very small areas and if the hoards / finds were properly documented, it may have been possible to have more information on them. Unfortunately, Indian find laws are pathetic and no one in his right mind would like to report a find.
In my opinion, if these coins and the find spots are even today properly documented, it would be possible in the long run to be able to list out these very very scarce coins as it is only a fortunate collector who is able to lay his hands on these. For some issues, if they were minted using just one or two dies, only a few thousand would have been minted and only a very small amount would have survived.

Amit

PS: I have penned these thoughts just to help increase awareness amongst collectors that KP's are not noncollectable. In fact, I rate them a slot higher than the collection of official mint issues. If some sort of documentation is done of the find spots, these would soon be the scarcest coins in the market.

I would love to have other members opinion on this and later off spin this off as a separate topic.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Abhay

I fully endorse Amit's views. Not only Kachcha Paisas harder to find, they are quite costly as compared to other normal copper paisa coins. Many of the KPs that I have posted above have costed me above Rs. 1500 each.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

capnbirdseye

I agree that many Kachcha paisas are attractive coins both well engraved and highly collectable, often found with interesting symbols these cause confusion trying to identify them before coming to the conclusion they are kachcha's.  Sometimes on Fb forums when a coin is identified as a KP then the reply from the owner often gives the impression he is disappointed as though the coin is therefore worthless.  ???
Vic

capnbirdseye

A couple of mine, the Jaipur type is interesting but has the jhar back to front & other symbols etc
Vic