Orchha State: Gaja Shahi Paisa (Shah Alam II or Muhammad Akbar II?)

Started by Overlord, November 23, 2008, 07:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Here is a Paisa of Orchha state. Orchha coinage was referred to as Gaja Shahi because of the Gaja or mace which was its symbol. The obverse mint mark seems to be the most common type (type 2 shown in The Standard Guide to South Asian Coins and Paper Money). The year is mostly off the flan, except for some part of the last digit (06:40 o\clock position on the obverse)---is that a 1 or a 2? I am not able to positively identify the reverse mint mark (on the left side of the Gaja symbol)---is that a type 9? In the absence the year, can any of the symbols on this coin help us to attribute it to Shah Alam II or Muhammad Akbar II?

Obverse

Reverse

Rangnath

WOW Overlord. 
To me it looks like C#25 rather than C # 38; Shah Alam II rather than Muhammad Akbar II. 
I'll post one that I have which I decided was C#25.  The date seems visible, but I keep arguing with myself about what it is. xx33, xx32, 1200, xx23, x214.   the 19th century catalog lists the following dates for C#25:  1216/4x, 1232/46 and 1237/16.  The 18th century catalog lists:  120x/35, 121x/40, 1211/41, 1212/4x and 1214/4x.  Of the eight catalog choices, I like 1214 AH for my coin and 1211 for yours. What do you think?
richie

Overlord

Thanks Richie. What do you think of the reverse mint mark on my coin? I also have a query regarding the origin of the term Gaja Shahi. If it is a reference to a mace (as the catalog states), shouldn't it be Gada Shahi (Gada=mace, Gaja=elephant)? The other type of mace (without the round thing at the top) is called a mugdar, so that doesn't seem to fit either.

But then, maybe, they preferred to not to call it Gada Shahi for the fear that "Gada" may be misread as "Gadha" (donkey). Ah, Gadha Shahi, the royal donkey  :D