News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Lithuanian designs

Started by Jostein, October 25, 2012, 01:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jostein

I found this ".pdf file" in the webpage of central bank of Lithuania. It's really interesting, cause we can see a lot of designs unrealised for the circulation coin series. Another remarkable fact is that, in a first moment, the proyected coins were designed for 1, 2, 3, 10, 15 and 20 centu coins only, nothing about 5, 50 centu and 1, 2 and 5 litas.

2008 Nr. 7 | Lietuvos bankas
Lietuvos bankas

Best,

Jostein.

captura1wt.jpg

capturawz.jpg
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

<k>

Excellent find, Jostein - thank you! Are you from Lithuania yourself?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Jostein

Thanks <k>! No, im not from Lithuania, I found this information by casualty, I was looking for the new 2 litas coins Municipality series.

Greetings from Spain! ;)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

<k>

Lithuania 1989 proprosals.jpg

Here are some 1989 designs from Antanas Olbutas. 

Lithuania did not become independent until 1991.

<k>

Lithuania proprosals A Bosas.jpg

Some designs by Algirdas Bosas, produced in 1996.

<k>

Lithuania proprosals R Eidejus.jpg

Some of the designs by R Eidejus (1996).

<k>

Lithuania proprosals R Belevicius.jpg

The design series proposed by E Belevicius in 1996.

<k>

Lithuania proprosals  A Olbutas.jpg

The design series proposed by A Olbutas in 1996.

<k>

Lithuania proprosals  A Zukauskas.jpg

Some of the designs produced by A Zukauskas for the 1996 competition.

<k>

Lithuania proprosals  P Garska.jpg

Design proposals for the centas coins by P Garska, 1989.

<k>

Lithuania 2 centai Zikaras.jpg

Lithuania Zikaras 1926 50 litu plaster.jpg

Here is the plaster model Juozas Zikaras made for a 2 centai coin in 1925.

A 2 centai denomination was not issued until 1936, with a very different design from this.

And a 50 litu model showing an allegorical woman, that was never issued.

See also Lithuanian coins of the 1920s for some of the issued designs by Juozas Zikaras.

<k>

Lithuania Zikaras 10, 50 centu.jpg

Lithuania Zikaras 10, 20 centu.jpg

Plaster models by Juozas Zikaras featuring Lithuanian cities, 1937.

chrisild

Of the designs in the first image (captura1wt.jpg), the 10/15/20 centų designs look interesting, but the digits have a 1970s/80s look in my opinion. Of course hardly any coin design is "timeless", but these are pretty much the contrary. ;) The middle row designs (1 centas, 2 centai, 10 centų) I like a lot. <k> posted more from that series here, but I wonder why Belevicius made two designs for the 10 c and one for each other denomination ...

Christian

Figleaf

Quote from: chrisild on October 26, 2012, 11:06:56 AM
I wonder why Belevicius made two designs for the 10 c and one for each other denomination ...

I think the first fits better with the design of the 1 and 2 shown, while the second is a better design, but departs from the ideas used for the 1 and 2.

I am surprised the "Soviet" values of 3 and 15 centai were considered, but no 3 litai.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Jostein

Quote from: chrisild on October 26, 2012, 11:06:56 AMOf the designs in the first image (captura1wt.jpg), the 10/15/20 centų designs look interesting, but the digits have a 1970s/80s look in my opinion. Of course hardly any coin design is "timeless", but these are pretty much the contrary. ;) The middle row designs (1 centas, 2 centai, 10 centų) I like a lot. <k> posted more from that series here, but I wonder why Belevicius made two designs for the 10 c and one for each other denomination ...

Christian

mexico-68-olympics.jpg

Looks like the font "Mexico 68" for the monogram of the Olympic games of that year.

Thanks for the other interesting designs, <k>!

Jostein.